3. Amsterdam
Overall, our family of 9 had a good time on the Amsterdam, but I certainly would not want to do an "Around the World" trip on her. Our cabin had a few problems that our very nice stewards did their best to take care of. First, they had put a very large dorm refrigerator in the space for your knees at the vanity so that you could not use it at all and the frig was plugged into the only outlet, so that I could not use hair dryer and curling rods. They did remove that for me and saw that we had a good supply of ice in our room. The other problem was that there was no hot water in the sink. A repairman tried, but his repair only lasted about 5 minutes. Oh well, I can live with that as there was hot water in the tub and shower. There was a lot of storage room and the balcony was larger than newer ships with a lounge chair as well as regular chair and small table. I read the review that complained about the lack of Salmon, but don't understand it as they served baked Salmon on deck twice and I believe it was one of the items on the menu available anytime. I thought the dining room food was pretty good and they tried hard to please my very fussy grandson. Breakfast buffet was good, but I thought the manu at the Lido could be better. I think it is the only ship I have been on that does not have Pizza on the pooil deck and the things that are there close down at 5 pm sharp. The Pinnacle is always wonderful. All of our group agreed that Sitka was our favorite stop. We booked private tours on shore and were so pleased with the friendliness of everyone. We were blessed with good weather in Juneau, Sitka and Victoria, and also for cruising Hubbard Glacier, which was awesome. It rained buckets in Ketchikan, but that is the norm there. We were very unimpressed with the photography on this ship. Some photos were Ok, but others were very fuzzy. The Black Label experience was definitely not worth the money, and on top of that, the photographer was rude to each one of us. For such a small ship, the entertainers were terrific. The Irish singing and dancing was a real treat. We will certainly cruise with HAL again, but probably not on the Amsterdam.

Some Good, Some Bad Experiences

Amsterdam Cruise Review by balmybreeze

• Sail Date: June 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite with Verandah

We will certainly cruise with HAL again, but probably not on the Amsterdam.
balmybreeze’s Full Rating Summary