Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by j9inmaui

• Sail Date: Jun 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

First cruise ever, last on NCL. The ship was nice, did not seem dated to me as some say BUT....

Staff - friendly but usually only if prompted for help - I think I saw my room steward twice, both times because I needed something - there was no lifejacket I could find (someone had stowed under the bed) and no robe unless you ask and that is for a mini suite?

Food was simply horrid, with very few exceptions. The best food of course was in the specialty restaurants Le Bistro was very good, Cagney's was average, and Teppenyaki could take it or leave it. The normal food, was at times disgusting. Corned beef sandwich in O'Sheehans was simply cold rye toast with fatty corned beef - no sauce, cheese, toppings of any kind. Gross. Fries that came with anything were always cold, in fact nothing I ate was ever hot as most meals should be, lukewarm food at best, even eggs and soup. Again, gross.

One night I was tired so ordered room service. I tried a cheeseburger, who can make a bad burger? NCL. Cold bun, mayo, thin beef patty and a totally unmelted slice of cheese. No cold fries this time, stale potato chips in a bowl. Really really bad.

That was just a couple of examples I could go on. So if you want a nice cruise, pretty scenery (weather was gorgeous and sunny) and are on a DIET, sail NCL cause I actually think I lost a few pounds on that food.

The other disturbing observation was a sewer smell that permeated the stateroom corridors much of the time, especially as you approached mid ship, and not just on one floor. Someone has a sewer leak? I asked a steward in passing if he smelled that? He either did not understand me or did not want to talk about it and brushed me off. Sewer fumes, again gross.

Too bad too, everyone is asking about how my cruise was, knowing it was my first. and NCL blew it,and yes I am telling everyone who asks just how....... next time based on the feedback from others in the ports will try Princess, everyone on the Coral and Crown I met loved it.

Sigh. Good to be home.

j9inmaui's Full Rating Summary

Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MB 11632

Noisy for sure, there was a water tank or something above the room, and constant swirling water sounds that could get quite loud. Safe broke, toilet broke, slider door broke. Bed was comfy but the sofa just used for storage it was so uncomfortable to sit on.

Ketchikan

Sunny but boring after about 2 hours you are done

Skagway

Cute town, too many foreigners with high pressure sales to buy or enter their shops, felt a bit like being in a 3rd world country

j9inmaui