3. Carnival Ecstasy
I picked this short cruise as an early surprise for my mother's 80th birthday. She is unable to travel far by airplane and because she is raising grandchildren (my late sister's) our time was limited. The embarkation was a breeze. I picked her up at LAX early Monday morning and we headed straight for Long Beach. We were at the terminal before the early cruise check-in opened. Once it opened, we did the early check-in and the off to wait until it was time for boarding. The wait, while long, was enjoyable. We talked to many people about our upcoming cruise and I also met with cruise critic pals Dianne and Terri. Once the wedding parties boarded, we were sent on our way. We were in the line for special needs. We were the first ones to board after the wedding parties. By 12:30, we were on the ship. The first thing we did was to check out if our room was ready and it was. We met our room steward, Handoko from Indonesia. Our cabin was decorated to celebrate my mother's birthday. The decorations and the cake were wonderful. The entire cruise was wonderful, enjoyable, and relaxing. We only attended one show (Hey Mambo). Since the last cruise I took my mother on two years ago, I have seen the aging really affecting her. She is not quite as active and she did spend a lot of time in the cabin relaxing. Since we had a room with a balcony, she could lie on the bed and watch the ocean. I think this cruise was the best medicine for her that money could buy. For an enjoyable cruise, she did not have to attend all activities or shows. It was time away from the daily grind and allowing herself to be pampered rather than the one who usually does the pampering. We had both visited the ports of Catalina and Ensenada previously. So, we choose to stay on the ship when it was in port. The ship was quiet and we almost had it all to ourselves. We were on this cruise for the cruise luxury itself, not the ports. The meals were very good, but not as fantastic as my recent (5/30/04) sailing on the Pride. I found myself comparing everything to the Pride. The Ecstasy is a beautiful, older lady. The Pride is a young lady. They really should not be compared. Our service in the dining room was fine. Our waiter and the assistant waiter were efficient with their job. But, they were not very animated or talkative. The Ecstasy has a small sushi bar on the Promenade deck that is open from 5:30- 8:30 each evening. I have never been one to like sushi, but I gave it a try and actually enjoyed it. As I recall, there were only four items to choose from at the sushi bar. Our room steward was fantastic. Every wish was our command. He filled the ice chest twice daily and brought us two Carnival Capers each night to read. I even asked him if it was possible to bring me a lounge chair from the pool area for on our balcony. The balcony is only 30 sq ft. While crowded, having the lounge chair on the balcony was wonderful. I was the only one who could lie in the sun and I did so for hours. My mother has to limit her time in the sun so the lounge chair did not inconvenience her. I spent hours in the sun and came back with a great tan. In each of my three trips on the Ecstasy, I've had a category 11 cabin on the verandah deck with a balcony. For me, the balcony is the only way to go. I enjoy the sun, without the crowd or the noise around the pool. I also like to walk out on the balcony to view the moon and stars at night and the sunrise in the morning. Debarkation was as simple as the embarkation. My mother had an early flight to return to Arizona, so we were in the first group off the ship. By 8:15am, we were in the car and on our way. I love this ship and would recommend her to anyone wishing to take a short cruise. She will be leaving Long Beach in September and after being refurbished, will be sailing out of Galveston.

Carnival Ecstasy - Mexican Riviera