3. American Queen
The boat was fantastic, the serving staff were quite good(Troy in particular was very funny, personable and attentive). The efforts that people went to for my wife and daughter to satisfy their dietary requirements was excellent. Getting on and off the boat could not have been made any easier so well done. The food quality and quantity was excellent. The ship was in excellent condition and the stateroom that we were in(category b) was very comfortable and served our purpose well. The shore excursions that I went on were excellent(Angola prison, Swamp visit, Plantation and Reginas). I would do them all again except for Regina's house, only because I was not personally interested in the cooking demo. Regina herself and the setting was lovely. The bad points(and some of these are totally out of AQ's control) 1. The destination towns were almost always closed on our trip(most shops, cafes etc did not open early enough for us to visit with them. 2. it was not explained to us that travelling up the river meant less time off the boat when visiting the ports. 3. The River grill bar needs to stay open if there are people around the bar(not a strict policy of closing it at 5PM). I thought a bar full of people willing to pay for drinks would be enough of a reason to stay open and continue to serve customers. 4. A big clean up of the Engine room bar would not go astray. The glassware is filthy. 5. The onboard tipping/gratuities could be simplified and explained better. 6. While the food quality was excellent, the variety at breakfast buffet was a bit repatiscious. Some cold cuts, smoked salmon, cheeses would have been a great addition. The site of all the sugary buns/slices etc etc being packed up every day at the end of the service should point out that there is too much sweets in the morning. We travelled with our 15 year old daughter and she enjoyed herself. Ithink any younger than 15 and the children would get quite bored. There is not a great deal onboard that they are interested in. Overall, I am happy that my family has done this trip on the AQ. We have truly enjoyed the experience. I would recommend it to other people. I would look at coming on the boat again(different ports), but would research the ports more next time.

Excellent Staff

American Queen Cruise Review by Wayno1

The bad points(and some of these are totally out of AQ's control)

5. The onboard tipping/gratuities could be simplified and explained better.

Wayno1’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get American Queen price drops

The cabin size and cleanliness was great. The bedding was comfortable and big enough for two adults to sleep well.