3. Carnival Vista
Overall it was OK for the price we paid. I'll list the pros and cons and some details about the ports that I wish I'd know. If any of this is helpful, please click the helpful button so others can find the more helpful reviews easily. Pros - New ship, it's clean, rooms were a decent size for a cruise, they must have fixed the embarkation process because although there were several lines for the different parts of the check in process, none of them took very long. They seem to have cut back on some of the wastage (although that can be a negative as well .. see below). Food was adequate. The excursions we did from the ship were mostly good, and were certainly organized. The water area for the kids is great! Our son loved going there. Neutral - Line for the Ropes course and the Sky Ride were always too long, so we didn't get to try that, but it looked fun. Cons - They don't have enough elevators for the number of people on the ship, ESPECIALLY when there is luggage being transported. Although they probably can't change that, they might be able to change the fact that there can be six elevators in a lobby, and if you push a down button it only works for two of those elevators. So you end up pushing all three buttons. That means that two elevators are going to stop on that floor after you take the first one, and no one will get on. Most times, our elevator stopped on every floor, up and down. It's ridiculous and takes forever. What a waste of time and energy. Soap - Bring your own everything. First, they only provide two small bars of poor quality soap, then watered down, non-sudsing shampoo and shower gel in the shower. Our bar of soap for the shower ran out about half way through the cruise and was never replaced. (really.. how cheap can they get?). The shampoo and shower gel was so watery it was absolutely worthless. No other items for hygiene are provided as they used to be. My Time Dining - WHAT A JOKE!!! They need to revamp this entire system or do away with it entirely. There was a line of over 200 guests the first night waiting for dinner. I talked to the guy over that process and he assured me that by the next night we could walk right up as it was only the first night that everyone was figuring stuff out. It was about 25 min to get seated the first night, then an hour to get our food. The next night, it was over an hour to get seated and then about 20 minutes to get or food. The ONLY reason it got any better after that is because we ended up going to dinner before 6. This was one of the worst parts of the entire cruise and whoever thought this was a good idea should be fired. If you do get stuck with MTD, ask to be seated with Airnes, Sasa and Pamjin. Their team was by FAR the best in the dining room. Drinks at beverages stations has gone down hill. The selection at breakfast was the only decent one. After breakfast they only had lemonade and unsweetened ice tea.. neither of which I like. Luckily water was also an option. ALL THE REST Food - It was fine. It wasn't as good as it used to be, nor was their as big of a variety, or as many places open during non-peak times, however you could almost always find something decent. I didn't have an issue with it because the waste some of the guests generated was disgusting!!!! The ice cream at the "sweet spot" was always good, however they also ran out in minutes and it was almost always "not quite ready yet". I did appreciate that they still had a decent selection of food, including sugary cereals for my 6 yo, even the last morning. Typically they put the dregs out the last morning to get rid of them and you. Not so this time and that was appreciated LUGGAGE - It took a while for our luggage to get delivered. The last bag arrived well past their last deadline. There was a strike in Athens by the dock hands, so they asked people to haul their own luggage with them when disembarking. It wasn't a big deal, other than "not enough elevators" issue came into play again. We had to go up from 2, all the way to 12, then back down again to get off. It stopped at every floor on the way up and the way down... and there is no AC. Normally disembarking is probably fine. ROOM - We had room 2245 - it was at the front of the ship and provided direct access to the elevators that lead to the kids play area. It was very quiet and I'd recommend that room unless you have a lot of laundry. LAUNDRY - there is only one laundry per floor with state rooms. We started our laundry as soon as we got back from our excursion the day before our day at sea. Within an hour there were lines of people waiting for all machines on all floors. The one on deck 2 is in the back of the ship by the Family Harbor area. It's $3 to run the washer and $3 to run the dryer. Bring your own single use detergent and a few dryer sheets if you know you will need them. PORTS - If you know it's going to be hot when you are going to some of these places, consider carrying an umbrella for shade. Getting on and off was easy. There were no tenders needed. They say to bring your ID but it was never needed. I felt safe at all ports. KIDS CLUB - we have 6yo and he had a great time. He made lots of friends and had plenty of activities to keep him entertained. I actually prefer Carnival's kids club to the one on Disney CL. Disney just has a grundle of electronics to keep them entertained. In the week we were on that cruise he didn't know anyone and did not bring one item from an activity back. He had a great time a Club Ocean. BARCELONA - We did the HOHO bus and it was not worth it. There are two lines that you would have to take to see everything, and they are so SLOW with the traffic. We did the metro systems in the other cities and those were FAR better. You need tickets in advance for Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. MARSEILLE - My least favorite stop by far. Several of the HOHO busses had eggs being thrown at the American tourist on board. It was too windy to do the excursion we had booked for the calanques so we took a HOHO bus to the cathedral at the top of the hill. It was beautiful and worth the hike, other than the rude man who worked for the church being ignorant to everyone. The lady in the Information Center was great, and the people with the stands along the water were nice, however the people who worked in the shops were not pleasant even though you were a tourist shopping in a tourist shop - hence the reason they have a job. LIVORNO - Using the trains to go to both Florence and Pisa was too involved, so we used a private company that dropped us off in Florence for a few hours, then took us to Pisa. Our time in Florence was fine (FYI you now need tickets to get into the Duomo - if you want to climb to the top, you might look into the tour option to skip the line.) My guess was that there were over 500+ people in line waiting to start the climb. They said it was over a two hour wait, and that was at around noon. Pisa was ok. They say you have "an hour" but it's a 15 - 20 min walk at least from the bus lot to the entrance, and then the same back. So after a few cheezy tourist pics of the tower you only have about 10 min to look around or get some souvenirs. A few people ended up missing the bus back. Not that I blame the tour for that, it's not their issue at all. People need to be responsible for themselves.. just saying you need to be mindful and it's not as much time as you think you might have considering the distance to actually get there. There is also a small train you can take for a few bucks. ROME - We took the trains and metro here and were glad for that. It gave us 7 to 8 hours in Rome rather than the 5 you get with the tour bus, and for less money. Get your tickets to the Vatican Museum ahead of time and you can skip the line. If you set up an official tour here you can skip from the Sistine Chapel and go right into the Vatican, with out going out and around and then back in.. probably saves you about 45 min - 1 hour, but you do skip some of the museum if you do that. VATICAN ITSELF - Men and women shorts or skirts need to be to the knees, and no bare shoulders. We used Gladiator Tours for our tour of the Colosseum. I would not recommend them. We had to skip Palentine Hill and go straight to the Roman Forum due to time limitations. They gave us our tickets and off we went. Got all the way to the gate, and the tickets they had given us were for the previous day. We ended up having to go all the way back, wait for the manager, and then get new tickets. SO UNPROFESSIONAL!!! I WOULD AVOID GLADIATOR TOURS. NAPLES - We did the Pompeii and Sorrento tour through Carnival. It was nice. Pompeii was nice. Sorrento was also nice. I don't have that much to say about it, other than we liked it. CRETE - We did another Carnival Tour here and go Dimetra, an archaeologist as our guide. She was AMAZING! I wish I'd known more about the Minoan civilization before I'd done this tour. If you have a few minutes, maybe spend 15 min looking that over first. RHODES - We did a private tour with Rhodes Private Tours. We had Michael, who was very nice. I think sometimes his desire to tell us about the history felt like we were in a rush and didn't give us a lot of time to just look around an appreciate the area. It's not a complaint really.. just an observation, and we were actually in a hurry at that point. They close Old Town early so I think he was just in a rush. I would have liked to have walked around in there more after our tour was over, but it was just so hot (over 105 in Lindos) I couldn't bring myself to do it. They take you to St. Paul's Bay which is gorgeous. If I'd known, I would have brought my bathing suit. It really is that lovely. Then we went to Lindos. Again, because of the heat we didn't go to the acropolis, nor could I make the donkeys carry us up in that heat.. But the day was nice and I'd recommend that tour. KUSADASI - We were a little worried about this stop with the troubles in Turkey and the Travel Advisory for Izmir, however we had a great time. We used Ephesus Shuttle due to the other positive reviews and couldn't have been happier. We requested Pinar as our guide and she was wonderful! It was HOT again (109) and our personal driver kept the van nice and cool for us. They had water and cool towlettes. He even had our son come more to the font and angled the AC on him when he was overheated at one point. In Ephesus, she offered to show us the Terrace houses and we passed because of the heat, however I wish I'd done them after talking to others and finding out that it was their favorite part. The House of the Virgin Mary, I wish I'd brought some nice containers for the water to bring back in my luggage. I'd purchased a wrap around skirt and a scarf for my hair, but it wasn't needed unless you went into a mosque. St. John's Basilica was large and interesting and the Temple of Artemis, although almost nothing is left, was still nice to see since it's one of the ancient wonders of the world. ATHENS - Not sure if you can get tickets in advance for the Acropolis, but if you can - DO IT! Honestly, for the location of possibly the most famous landmark on the planet, you'd think they could do better than a ticket stand you'd see at a fair. No joke! There were 150+ people in line with two little dinky window in a little hut. And those people did not move fast. If we hadn't lucked out to see that the second window had it's own little line, we'd still be waiting for a ticket!!! I don't get it. The Acropolis museum was state of the art.. why can't they get some of that over to the actual SITE! That was ridiculous! My only advice is to bring plenty of water. There's none for sale after you pass the ticket offices (or pitiful excuses for a ticket office) and the people in the huts along the way are not helpful. There are a few spigots (follow the hoses) and people were filling water bottles with the water, but it didn't say it was potable water and I wasn't about to risk it. We did dunk our son's head under one though.. and that helped a bunch, since it was another 106 day. Carnival Excursion - Plaka Express - BEWARE! The driver dropped us off and told us the bus would pick us up 4 hours later from the same spot. The bus actually picked up from across the street and 100 yards past that point. There were about 30 of us waiting in the 106 heat and the bus left without us. Once someone went up and checked it out and we all moved up there, they told us we'd have to wait ANOTHER 30 min, when some people had already been in that heat for an HOUR!!! After making my point clear that that was unacceptable, they called another bus and we were picked up within 15 minutes. I have no idea if anyone ended up checking on anyone else who was giving the wrong pick up location.

Overall it was OK for the price.

Carnival Vista Cruise Review by jbar434

Overall it was OK for the price we paid.

ALL THE REST

LUGGAGE -

You need tickets in advance for Sagrada Familia and Park Guell.

jbar434’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Carnival Vista price drops

Interior
Cabin 4A 2245
2245 was quite and had decent access to everything except the laundry room. That was close to the Family Harbor area in the back of the ship.
Deck 1 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins