3. Koningsdam
We have cruised on many lines in many locations, but have the most days on Holland America. We were interested in sailing on the new ship and have been planning a Midnight Sun and Fjord cruise, so this was our perfect opportunity. Embarkation was quick and we were up in the Lido before you know it. It wasn't busy then, as most people seemed to have arrived later. Breakfast in the Lido, especially on port days, and lunches at prime time on sea days I agree with other reviewers that it was difficult to find a table. After a several days of this, people just started to share tables with strangers rather than walking around searching for somewhere to sit. We have experienced this lack of tables on other lines too, so it was not unexpected and certainly did not ruin our cruise. Thoroughly enjoyed our meals in Tamarind, the Culinary Arts Center and Caneletto. The Grand Dutch Cafe was a big hit with most passengers. The personal pizzas were also very good at NY Deli & Pizza on Deck 10 overlooking the pool. I personally loved the addition of the Deck 10 area above the main pool, it opened the whole space up and it was nice to look down on the pool. Those sofas that are up there are attractive, but unfortunately as hard as rock to sit on. Not very comfortable, but hopefully that will change. I thought the World Stage was a great venue, especially for the shows that were specifically designed for it, like the production shows with the use of the video screens and lighting effects. The other entertainment for this cruise wasn't that great, a little repetitive. The Billboard on Board and the BB King Blues Band were also all very entertaining and talented, but after a few nights also repetitive. I loved the look and feel of the main dining room and the Queens Lounge. I enjoyed the overall design of the ship and thought they added some really nice features. I think they tried hard to update the look and feel of the ship to appeal to a new generation of cruisers without sacrificing the classic Holland America touch. The promenade is very walkable and there are benches here and there to sit if you want to do that for a while. The current regulations for the lifeboat placement don't seem to allow the old style promenades with the deck chairs, but I think HAL did their best to keep it going. Plenty of ocean views and fresh air while getting in some miles. Our cabin was on Deck 5 at the very back of the ship, overlooking the wake. Couldn't have been better in my opinion. We met our cabin attendants right away and probably were greeted by them several times a day. They were terrific. All the service we received on the cruise was wonderful. We really enjoyed the ports and the Koningsdam itself. It's a great ship, very attractive and classy. As with anything new and a little different, there may be growing pains, but we enjoyed it all.

Fantastic Cruise on the New Koningsdam