3. Norwegian Sun
I choose this cruise primarily for the interesting ports and itinerary. Patagonia, Falkland Islands, The Horn, Straits of Magellan, Chilean Fjords, and more. Embarkation was something. Lots of lines, and checkpoints getting through the port terminal. Once on the ship, and completing one last check-in, I was able to go right to my cabin. My luggage was present along with the first daily schedule. Lots of events throughout the afternoon and evening. I made a list and jumped right into it. Let me mention that the cabin was great, Mid-ship Ocean View, class OF. I describe it in more detail under the cabin review section. I really enjoyed the dining choices. The two main dining rooms always a large number of selections. I ate all dinner meals in one of the main dining rooms. One evening we went to the Brazilian Steak house (specialty restaurant with an extra charge) It was great. Had my fill of wonderfully grilled meats. I tried everything. Found some cuts better than others, like the tenderloin, which I had several more rounds of. They also had a shrimp dish that was excellent. Also don't forget the grilled pineapple, out of this world. For breakfast I would eat either the buffet/cafeteria areas on excursion days. Though these were fairly hectic. After a few days I discovered the continental plus breakfast area. It didn't feel as hurried, and I was able to get eggs fried/scrambled to order, and hot cereal. On sea days I would have a wonderful sit down breakfast in the main dining room with friends. Many, many choices and always good. There are so many other snack options from the bars to the buffets, to the crepe station at the ice cream bar. I enjoyed it all. The entertainment was good. I went to most shows. Some were better than others, but all were fun. Lots of planned/scheduled events and activities. Really something for everyone. In fact I wasn't able to do everything I wanted, because there were just so many choices. The service was great. Everyone from the dinning area, to cabin stewards, to senior staff were always helpful and accommodating. Of course my experiences may not match what others have experienced. I didn't interact with all the staff, and may have been lucky with those I did. Also my travel friends also commented on the fact that a lot of it has to do with the individual person themselves. We witnessed people just griping and complaining about things out of the cruise line's control, like weather which delayed tendering. Some where outright screaming at employees about how inept NCL was handling things. I understood the delay and didn't worry about it. Hey, we're on vacation, relax and chill out. Everything isn't going to go perfectly, but how you handle it will make a big difference in your total experience. Finally the excursions. I went with NCL's excursions on this cruise. Partially because I had booked fairly close to the sailing date and didn't have time to do much on my own. I was very pleased with my choices. I wanted to see lots of penguins, and I did. I wanted to hike in the forests of Tierra Del Fuego, and of the Chilean Fjord region. I wanted to visit a volcano at Puerto Montt. I got to do all of this and it was great. I enjoyed this itinerary, and ship so much that I plan to do this cruise again sometime in the future. Those of you reading this because you are taking this cruise, are in for a real treat. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Fantastic Cruise Around the Horn of South America!

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by MNJones

• Sail Date: January 2016
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Oceanview Porthole Window

MNJones’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Mid-Ship Oceanview Porthole Window
Cabin OF 4230
The cabin was great. I felt I had lots of room, with plenty of storage. Shelves and baskets in the closet. Drawers, shelves, and cabinets above and next to the desk. The bathroom was round, and had plenty of room for one at a time, Two could be in the bathroom, but it gets a bit tighter. Lots of storage and hanging space in the bathroom.
The climate controls for the room worked well. When we left we had temperatures near 90°F. As we reached some of the most southerly points, temps were in the 40's & 50's °F. I need to reduce the A/C to warmer temps to heat the room. I always felt very comfortable. Of course I needed to start to cool things again as we moved back into 70's & 80's again.
The porthole window was quite large, had a nice shelf, and a heavy blackout curtain. I used cloths pins to close it tight, which made the room dark when needed. I loved the light pouring in during the day. As others mentioned, I would look out to determine what I needed to wear based on the weather.
The steward kept the cabin clean and well serviced.
Biscayne Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Buenos Aires
    Spent several days touring the city on my own. Lovely city well worth spending time exploring and experiencing.
    View All 238 Buenos Aires Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Buenos Aires Cruise Port Review
  • Montevideo
    I also explored Montevideo on my own by walking around. It was market day and I was able to experience part of local life. I saw a lot and really enjoyed my time ashore.
    View All 248 Montevideo Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Montevideo Cruise Port Review
  • Osorno Volcano
    Loved it. I describe this with the photo of the volcano that I posted. Again a chance to get out into nature along with some touring of the local towns around a very scenic lake.
    View All 15 Osorno Volcano Reviews
  • Petrohue Falls
    Part of the same tour that visited the Osorno Volcano. You get time to hike through part of the National Park and time to view the waterfall.
    View All 30 Petrohue Falls Reviews
  • Skywalk in the Forest
    I don't know if this is what it was called, I surely don't recall the term "skywalk" but it fits. We were driven out of town up to the most southern ski hill in the world. We took a chairlift up to the top. The views out over the town and the Straits of Magellan were fantastic. We then headed into the forest for a hike down the mountain back to the chalet. The beauty of the forest, along with being out in the wild of it was worth it all. Once back to the chalet we were served pie along with hot coco.
    View All 6 Skywalk in the Forest Reviews
  • Gentoo Penguins in Bluff Cove
    I also described this with the penguin photos I posted.
    This tour is a family run operation. They meet you at the ship with a mini-bus that carries 16 people. You are driven maybe 10 miles out of Port Stanley, passing by many of the mountains/hills that saw battles during the Falkland Islands war. You then meet up with 4-wheel drive range rovers that each take 4 people. You head out cross-crountry through the sheep ranch. There are no roads. Even crossed a small river. We soon arrived down at the cove and the penguin rookery. There are both Gentoo and King penguins here as you can see in my photos. You had about an hour to walk around and observe the penguins, then make your way over a small rise and down to the beach where they had a small museum and cosy tea room. In the tea room you had a large selection of home baked cookies, cakes, and biscuits. Along with your choice of coffee, tea, or coco. All complimentary as part of the tour. We also each received a well produced booklet with lots of photos that tell you all about the family, their sheep ranch, and the penguin rookery. The absolutely best excursion I had on the entire cruise.
    View All 29 Gentoo Penguins in Bluff Cove Reviews
  • Tierra del Fuego National Park
    Beautiful area. Made several stops and had time to hike a bit in the beech tree forests.
    View All 65 Tierra del Fuego National Park Reviews