We have never been on a cruise of any kind and chose AMA based on the recommendation of a friend/travel agent. We were looking for a ship with a small number of passengers and a solid reputation. AMA is apparently known for the food onboard and bundled activities - both did not disappoint. The staff on board were all fantastic and well trained in customer service. Extra effort was made by all to make sure that our needs were met. Here are my pros & cons:
- public shared areas
- french balcony - beautiful concept
- high service level of the staff
- choice of bundled shore excursions (including a choice of pace)
- bikes on board
- some of the shore excursions necessarily were quick overviews with limited flex to be able to see more. We're used to traveling on our own and having more time. This isn't an AMA Waterways problem but something we learned about cruising
- we like the port itinerary for most part including stops in areas we wouldn't otherwise see. With that said, 2 days in Vienna vs. 1 would make sense. I'd add another night to make this happen.
Given the space limitations on a river cruise ship the cabin was very well configured and executed. It's a little tight for luggage storage - luckily we pack light. Don't count on wifi and TV (they make this clear in pre-cruise documents). Service can range from non-existent to excellent. Best internet access was in the public areas. The only strange thing to report was toilet flushing required a bit of learning - not a problem once you get the hang of it.