Crown Princess Cruise Review
2,116 Reviews

The good, the bad, and the TERRIBLE.

Crown Princess Cruise Review by calycruising

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

The Good: Alaska, what more needs to be said. It was stunning, the scenery, towns, people, weather, the excursions (we took 2) we had signed up for more but the itinerary changed and a lot of the excursions were canceled.

Highly recommended would be the Eagle Island Sea Kayaking trip in Ketchikan. Absolutely spectacular! Also in Ketchikan, if your looking for fresh fish to be sent home "Fish From Trish" is a must. Some of the customer service crew at the customer relations desk were pretty understanding and helpful, some. We had dinner at the Crown Grill one night, other then a mix up with the reservations, (a case were the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing) it was a nice evening.

The Bad: This is easy. We left port (Vancouver) 4 hours late, spent 5 hours in a few different lines in order to get thru customs. There were a total of three ships in port at the same time and as much as it was customs at fault for most of the delay, I found out that this happens twice a year. Princess knowing this should have done a better job in preparing for this problem. On board we found the crew for the most part to be rude, disingenuous and they gave the impression that they rather be somewhere else the doing their job. Because of the itinerary change times and days of the original itinerary changes. Over all a total of 12 hours lost, taken away. The worst of it was the change in Juneau where it was moved from Tuesday to Sunday (Mother's day). The town was not notified in time (according to one shop owner) and there for Juneau closed down at 7:00pm. We were in port from

2:30 - 11:30. 4 1/2 hours in a dark town. Bad planning again or lack of from Princess.

This happened in Skagway as well.

The Terrible: The food, the food and the overall service onboard. For breakfast at the Horizon Court Buffet I asked on a few different day if I may have fresh toast, the answer I was given was "NO" and they walked away. Hard to believe, I know. At the International Cafe I asked for a sandwich with no tomato, easy enough. It came to me cold and with the tomato. Not once but twice. Twice Princess decided to paint right next to the Horizon Court Buffet, Try to eat while smelling oil base paint. They also thought shutting down the running track at 6:30am (this is when most people like to get there running in) was a good idea. And you would think keeping the hot tub area clean would be on there list of things to do. NOT. My wife and I went out there several times after 7:00pm. Not a once was it clean. Dirty towels, empty beer bottles, cocktail glasses, used tissues. I have never seen anything like it before.

If I didn't see or deal with any of this myself I wouldn't have believe it. After reading some of the other reviews I'm not the only one who experience such bad service all the way around.

I will be going back to the great and most beautiful state of Alaska, but NOT on a Princess Cruise. I highly recommend you do the same.

calycruising's Full Rating Summary

Juneau

Poor rating, because Princess messed up the itinerary and placed us in port when Juneau was not expecting us.

Kayaking

The company that provided us the tour did an excellent job. Would do it again.

White Pass Scenic Railway

Scenery was amazing, the train itself was average.

View All 1212 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
Vancouver

5 hour delay with customs, no help from Princess.

calycruising