3. Westerdam
We wanted to sail to Alaska from Seattle and found a great deal on this cruise on Costco travel. We spent three days in Seattle and really enjoyed this city, although the Pikes Market area is very busy, even during the week. Holland America has embarkation down to a science. We were on the ship and able to get into our cabin by 1:00! We were in Cabin 8136 which is an aft cabin; this is the first time I was able to secure a cabin like this, and the views from our balcony were amazing. The room is nice for two (I would not do three people in it), and we were very pleased with our cabin stewards Arie and Hendra. The bed was very comfy, but one drawback is the lack of counter space. I have been on other cruises where there is a small desk and a vanity, and this cabin did not have this. The Westerdam in general is an older ship, and some of the common areas like the Crow's Nest are worn looking and need some updating. In general, though, the ship is nice and the service from the staff awesome. The only bad experience we had was at the spa. We had pre-purchased the 7 day package to have unlimited use of the spa facilities. We have done this on other ships and loved it. However, when we got on the ship and went to the spa, they did not really show us around and were more interested in upselling services. The next day we went to the hydro pool and were very disappointed as it is small and nothing special. The thermal room is also not that great. We went to the spa desk to ask for a refund, and the manager was very rude and refused! However, the officer at the front desk graciously processed the refund and apologized. On the ports, there is too much time in Sitka and not enough in Ketchikan. I will definitely look at that if I book another Alaskan cruise. Disembarkation was a breeze! We opted for them to take our baggage to the airport, and it was worth every penny to not have to mess with luggage. Plus, the SeaTac is very busy and the security lines were horrendous. We really enjoyed this and put a deposit down to prebook a future cruise.

Great Time on Westerdam

Westerdam Cruise Review by SATXcruiserDeb

• Sail Date: June 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

We really enjoyed this and put a deposit down to prebook a future cruise.
SATXcruiserDeb’s Full Rating Summary