3. Viking Egil
We are not experienced cruisers, early 60's. This was our first river cruise and had been on one Caribbean cruise. We knew people who had cruised Viking, some multiple times. We heard only good so we booked Basel to Amsterdam with extensions in both cities. Viking takes very good care of you in all manners of transportation, connections and when on extensions. The Egil is a new ship. We were the second cruise. The rooms are typical. Small but nice. Efficient bathroom. The staff did a superb job of freshening the room unobtrusively. We opted for a balcony/veranda. Nice, but we got little use of it. Either too cold or we were docked against another ship. Save a few bucks and pass. I'm not a foodie. Meat and potatoes. I found the food good but not a reason to take the cruise. Others raved about the food. You won't go hungry. But if that's your thing, keep looking, IMHO. At lunch and dinner wine or beer is include. All you can drink. The Lounge became a second home. Nice, all windows. Casual. They don't try to screw you too bad on drink prices (wine- 6 euros or so, mixed drinks (manhattans)- 9). Nobody is searching your bags if you want to bring something on board. Daily (almost) tours are included. Always in the morning then time to explore on your own. All ranged from very good to excellent. Guides were generally entertaining and knowledgeable. Our guide in Cologne was a hands down expert on the cathedral. Knew everything and more. Optional tours are available ($50-75/person?). Most not interesting to us but we did go to some 1300's village that was great. We had a total of 177 passengers. I'd say we were about average age (early 60's). Almost no "young" (under 50) people, Zero kids.The other passengers were great. We pal-ed up with several different wonderful groups/couples that added greatly to the experience. All walks of life, all terrific. The small ship experience is terrific. You bump into the same people over and over. I don't think I'll ever do a big ship again. The management and staff were all great. After the first day they delivered my manhattan and wifes white wine as soon as they saw us in the lounge. I would not classify this as "luxury". Just good, solid, well done mid class experience. We will cruise Viking again.

Well done.

Viking Egil Cruise Review by Ron and Helen

The Egil is a new ship. We were the second cruise.

We will cruise Viking again.
Ron and Helen’s Full Rating Summary