Seven Seas Mariner Cruise Review by drkitkat123
- Sail Date: June 2016
- Destination: Alaska
2.Ride to Seeward and boarding: great scenary and effortless baording to be greeted by lovely lunch buffet
3. The Ship: fantastically looked after and maintained. Rooms very good size and loved walk-in robe. OH did not care for shower in bath
Excursions: can really only book one/day online but can add in extras when on ship but it does make it quite hectic and not relaxing
4. Hubbard Glacier - was a brilliant blue day, got very close and saw lots of calving and heard lots of noise
5. Sitka: we did the kayaking which was fun follwed by the Sea Otter and Whale quest, also good and saw them both, but maybe a touch too long
6. Juneau: poor weather and the helicopter to the glacier and dogslied was cancelled so we did the Glacier Gardens and walk to Mendenhall Glacier (all one tour, about 3 hours) both fun - Glacier Gardens could have been shorter as they left us in the souveneir shop for too long at the end. Would have preferred more time at the Glacier - we hiked to the waterfall but would have also liked time to go into the exhibit
7. Skagway: White Horse secenic railway. Great scenary but one way would have been enough. Probably would have taken the Glacier helicopter ride if we had the choice and knowing what the railway was about afterwards.
8 Ketchikan: Lovely town. We did the rainforest walk - quite gentle stroll, great guide, lots of flora but no fauna. Loved the town though
9. Food:Average to good. I felt the speciality restaurants were overrated. On our recent Celebrity cruise, the French restaurant was significantly better. Buffets were average. Loved the outside BBQ for lunch
10. Service: Very very variable. Some good and some terrible. Items ordered for dinner never arrived, rice arrived about 30 min after main course. Sodas ordered never arrived multiple times. One server wiped crumbs off the plate in front of me with her hand before giving me the plate. Food was constantly cold despite numerous entreaties. There were a couple of outstanding servers though.
Summary impressions: Go later in the season for more wildlife - we saw no bears. Loved the all inclusive nature and not having to pay or swipe cards. Service needs major improvement. I would go on Regent again.
250,000+ people have entered their email
Port & Shore Excursion Reviews
Mendenhall Glacierglacier gardens part could be quickerView All 888 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
Rainforest HikeNice easy hikeView All 95 Rainforest Hike Reviews
SewardLovely drive down to SewardView All 186 Seward Cruise Port Reviews
View Cruise Critic's Seward Cruise Port Review
Kayakingsaw little wildlife but had funView All 12 Kayaking Reviews
Sea Otter and Wildlife Questsaw lots of wildlifeView All 68 Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest Reviews
White Pass Scenic Railwayone way would have been enough, maybe with option to cycle downView All 1,104 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews