3. Carnival Spirit
Our cruise was the first for my wife and I, and our first time away from the kids so our first holiday as just a couple again. My folks are massive cruisers, they do 2 or 3 a year all over the world so we had a wealth of advice to draw from. We chose a South Pacific cruise on the Carnival spirit as the dates suited and we got a great rate on an Ocean Suite. The cruise visited Noumea, Mare and the Isle of pines. The itinerary wasn't as much of a consideration for us as we were looking forward to just enjoying each other and relaxing. One thing I will say is that the itinerary next time will be a be a big consideration. Port days are busy, 3,4 or 5 in a row will be hectic, look for a day at sea or two in between a couple of ports. We found the days at sea the most enjoyable and relaxing! Embarkation was smooth and quick, obviously helped by having priority boarding with an Ocean Suite. One thing about the décor on the Spirit is that it's out there and probably takes a little time to get used to, but I think that adds to it's charm in a way. I overheard another passenger describe it as "Like an RSL on steroids" that made me laugh as it is a very appropriate analogy. Had no problems with the restaurants and the food was good. We had anytime dining which suited us so we usually didn't go to dinner until about 8pm. Obviously if you have kids then an earlier set time would suite.Service was great and the staff attentive and polite. We made use of the fine dining restaurant, Nouveau a couple of times and it was well worth it! There were quite a few kids on board but generally they were well behaved and no issue really. We did make use of the adults only area called Serenity on the rear deck of the ship quite a bit but if you want to get a Pod or deck chair you have to get in early. The spirit is known as a family orientated ship so don't whinge about the kids on board, you should know that well before booking anyway if you research properly. I won't say much about the ports other than they were pleasant and pretty. Noumea was pretty boring as we arrived on a sunday and nothing was open! The bus tour we did was Ok! The choo choo train seemed popular and those we spoke to said Aimadee Island was worth the money! We made good use of the comedy club, some great comics had me in stitches (adults only sessions) and we used the bars a bit but not a lot. Didn't catch any of the shows but stuck our heads in once or twice, seemed ok and well attended. Our Cabin stewards were amazing, especially Mr G (Glorioso) polite and attentive and knew everybody on the deck by first name! In summary, a wonderful, relaxing holiday. The ship does not pretend to be high end, but what it does offer is a value for money holiday, if you have higher expectations then maybe book with Princess or Celebrity or similar. If you have a good idea what to expect and understand the general demographic of passengers you will appreciate Carnival and the ship. We will be looking to cruise again with Carnival with the kids next time! We learned that a cruise is what you make of it, if you go with preconceived ideas you may end up disappointed, if you go with an open mind you will likely end up pleasantly surprised. Can't fault the cruise line, the ship or the crew! A great cruise, we loved it!

A great value for money holiday

Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by cjbib2702

• Sail Date: April 2016
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Ocean Suite

In summary, a wonderful, relaxing holiday.

We will be looking to cruise again with Carnival with the kids next time!

Can't fault the cruise line, the ship or the crew!

A great cruise, we loved it!
cjbib2702’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Spirit price drops

Ocean Suite
Cabin OS 6172
Definitely worth paying the extra money.
Large, roomy and the bed were so comfortable!
We made a fair bit of use of the Balcony when you don't feel like being amongst the crowds.
A nice quite part of the ship, you may hear kids once or twice running down the hallways but was not an issue!
Panorama Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins