S.S. Catherine Cruise Review

Uniworld is top notch and Provence is beautiful!

S.S. Catherine Cruise Review by dbncsuvet

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Stateroom with French Balcony

Uniworld was great. The room was beautiful and the bed was extremely comfortable. The service was amazingly attentive and all of the staff were very professional. If anything, they were too attentive! My husband would sometimes get wine and not even drink it, just so people would stop asking him if he wanted some!

Our cruise director was Thierry and our hotel manager was Yann. They are both French and were very visible during the entire trip, and made sure everything was running smoothly and that everyone was happy. The head chef and restaurant manager were also extremely visible and attentive. The food was really good, albeit heavy, and the wines were nice.

The only downside on our trip was that my husband ended up getting food poisoning, I think from a restaurant we ate at in Lyon before getting on the ship. Nobody else got sick (including me) so I doubt it was anything he ate on the ship. He was down and out for almost 3 days, which left me exploring a lot of the ports on my own. While he was sick, all of the staff on the boat was very attentive to his needs. They were always asking how he was doing, arranged for a doctor to come onto the ship to look at him, and picked up prescriptions for him. The restaurant manager made me plates of crackers, rice, and plain chicken to bring him. I wish he did not get sick but I was glad he was in good hands on the ship.

I really loved Provence. My favorite port was Avignon. I actually did not even do the included tour there because I opted for the optional included tour of Pont du Gard (it no longer costs extra!) which was also amazing. We had a whole afternoon free in Avignon though so I explored on my own. I thought they fortified city was beautiful and really enjoyed the Pope's Palace. I definitely would like to return to Provence again, hopefully bring my kids once they are a bit older.

I would highly recommend Uniworld to anyone going on a river cruise. The staff is incredibly attentive and make you feel like no request is too large. Although we were one of the youngest on the ship (mid to late 30s), we still enjoyed it and felt it was not too slow-paced. We were expecting the age gap anyway.

The only thing that is a bit lacking is the entertainment on the ship, although we are not really into that sort of thing anyway so it didn't bother us. I pretty much got off the boat and went exploring whenever we were docked. The nice thing about a river cruise is that you can do that since you dock right at the towns!

dbncsuvet's Full Rating Summary

Stateroom with French Balcony
Cabin 3 310

We got a category 2 room which had a French-style balcony. It was definitely good enough for us. We liked to open the window when sailing and I liked how Uniworld has a bug screen if you want to put that up. The room was beautiful and very smartly organized, with plenty of storage space. The bed was extremely comfortable.

dbncsuvet