• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

NSnJW
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: May 2016
Cabin: Mid-Ship Balcony

We let NCL handle all of our travel. It took over 2 hours after we landed in Vancouver to get on the bus to the port. Then customs went as smoothly as most customs stops. After that we were herded into a room of folding chairs because NCL couldn't get people checked in. After over an hour they started taking row by row but when they got to our row they announced everyone could go. Being old and sorta lame this put us well in the back. We inched forward and finally got our turn but after getting halfway through the check in, the agent's computer locked up and we moved over and started again. I think we were last to board.

Then we found overcrowded elevators partially due to one of the 4 mid ship elevators being out of service. It wouldn't get back in service for several days which meant a lot of waiting for an elevator that was full. Often the quickest way was to ride the wrong direction and then signal your deck when it reversed direction.

The life boat drill was a fiasco. Took forever and was very disorganized. Thank god we didn't need the lifeboats. Later in the cruise I watched as they launched the lifeboats for practice. They definitely needed practice. Several of the boats yo-yoed up and down trying to uncouple their rigging. It was hilarious but only because it wasn't needed during our voyage.

Mid-Ship Balcony

Cabin BA

Port Reviews

Sitka

I can't walk very far but was able to take the bus to town and then walk past the onion dome church to get a good view of the Russian blockhouse. Pretty little town.

Glacier Bay

Absolutely breathtaking views of the glaciers and the mountain goats on the bare rock.

Icy Strait

Since I ain't the zip line type, the only thing there for us was the cannery. It was interesting and well worth the walk. It was a lot more simplistic than I thought it would be. There were many shops in the cannery but we aren't the ones to ask about shopping.

The absolute best thing about Icy Strait was watching the whales, otters and seals from our port side balcony.

Ketchikan

I am limited in my walking but did get up to Creek Street. It is well worth a mildly painful walk. The shops on stilts hanging over the rushing water are quaint and beautiful. We also enjoyed the Totem Poles.

It was a very warm day so we spent much time watching boats and traffic from our balcony.

Vancouver

Only rode the bus from the airport to the port so we didn't see enough of the city to render a fair opinion. From what we saw we have no compelling reason to return but are open finding additional enticements. I should add I hate big cities.

2 Helpful Votes