Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review
1,874 Reviews

Oh dear, could do much better

Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by Ginger Eric

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Class 2

We chose celebrity because my partner who is an elite member with Royal Carribbean had always been given the impression that this sister company offered a higher standard cruise.

The ship was very clean and the itinerary was good. Embarkation and disembarkation were both easy. These were the positives

I am afraid to say other aspects of the cruise were not so good. The food especially for diner was at best average, little actual variety and mostly bland. The starters mainly consisted of soups and salads, and it was amazing how many New York steaks were ordered. I found it very disappointing that when I pointed this out to the executive chef, his only reply was" we have to cater for all tastes" and even when he was shown his own menu denied the starters were mostly soup and salad. I found him to be very arrogant and lazy. My impression was that there was a big drive to sell people the expensive fine dining option.

The entertainment was not great either, with the exception of We3. Who ever put the programme together seemed intent on educating us with what I would describe as arty shows. If you are putting on a Broadway show I would expect songs I know and some glamour and glitz, not songs from obscure off Broadway shows and singers glad in black.

The pool bars were also disappointing, no music no atmosphere and miserable staff. I have to say one of the barmen on the pool deck is lucky my partner did not complain about the way he just blatantly ignored her and then told another passenger that he didn't smile as he had "a poker face".... Wrong job I think!

The Martini bar was the one shining light, the staff were all fantastic,especially I Komang who made the best cosmopolitan ever.

All in all this was a nice ship, with many friendly staff and a good itinerary let down by at best, average food, poor entertainment and poor pool side bar staff.

We had already booked for a cruise with celebrity through the Suez Canal in November, I hope the experience is much better, but based on this cruise I would not have booked that trip knowing what I know now.

I would love celebrity to pull its socks up so I could write them a glowing review next time

Ginger Eric's Full Rating Summary

Concierge Class 2

We had a concierge cabin on the 9th floor. The balcony was nice and its furniture comfortable. The bed was comfortable, and everything was very clean. My only request would be more storage space.

As a side note we had canopies delivered each afternoon, they were generally of a very poor standard

Santorini

The arrival was spectacular, but it was chaotic waiting to get off the tender, the cable car was expensive and the town very touristy. Not my favourite place

Athens (Piraeus)

Athens continues to be what many describe as a dump. There is a lot of graffiti in what is a mainly uninspiring city

Mykonos

I was really surprised by how nice Mykonos was, well kept with nice shops and restaurants, much better than Santorini

Kusadasi

We booked a private tour to Ephusus which was good even though we were in the centre of a thunder storm. Kusadasi is a reasonable place but spoilt by the Turkish shop keepers who just hassle you through out

Bodrum

Bodrum is a pretty place and a pleasant place to visit for half a day

Naples

This was always going to be the highlight of the cruise. We went to Capri, where we took various forms of transport to the top of the island, one of the most beautiful views anywhere, it was then on to Sorrento for a lovely lunch in the main square and people watching before a relaxing hydrofoil ride back to Naples

Ginger Eric