Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review
1,923 Reviews

Very good for a first cruise

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Mrsweeble

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: the Baltic Sea
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom 9

We were really impressed with Celebrity Eclipse for our first cruise.

As mentioned, embarkation didnt go very well, but this was due to a technical glitch and they handled this well.

The ship is beautiful, immaculately clean and well maintained. People have said in other reviews that furniture looks tired, but this isn't something we noticed or were concerned by.

We had an inside cabin because I was aware that there weren't going to be many hours of darkness in the more northerly parts of our cruise, and I like to sleep in total darkness. Despite being the cheapest 'stateroom,' it was spacious, clean and we were brilliantly looked after.

The staff deserve special mention because throughout the ship, they worked so hard to ensure our comfort and satisfaction. Cleaning staff kept our room immaculate, turned down every night and even provided towel art on a few occasions. The waiters in the restaurant were a lot of fun and worked hard to look after us, and the 'Guest Services' department solved any problems we had.

I thought the food was brilliant. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Ocean View buffet and felt the standard of food was very high. Yes, as others have mentioned, the norovirus meant the experience was slowed down a little, but I didn't feel this was excessive and the food was worth the wait. We ate almost every night in Moonlight Sonata (main dining room) and were very impressed. There was only one night that I was slightly disappointed with my dinner, and that was more because of my selection than the restaurant. As mentioned before, the waiters were great and we felt well looked after. We also had some on-board credit so we ate a Qsine one night which was just amazing. We loved the experimental style but that food quality wasn't compromised in trying to be quirky.

We did buy a drinks package, which I know lots of people have said they weren't happy with. However, we felt we got our money's worth, and liked not having to think about the cost as we went along.

We enjoyed some of the entertainment, but this was a mixed bag. The cast shows were poor, we didnt make it through 'chandelier,' and the rock show, whilst well done musically, seemed to be a chance for young performers to strut a lot, with little else by way of dancing or performing really. However, the violinist who was on during the first week was incredible, and we enjoyed the Russian dancing, and the Beatles tribute. I really enjoyed the lectures by the head chef, what a great opportunity, and the live music throughout the boat was of a very high standard.

We didn't use celebrity excursions because they were very pricey. However, there was a local shuttle bus for a reasonable price in every port. We did use two celebrity excursions whilst in St Petersburg because there was no other way to see the city. The first excursion was terrible, but thankfully the second one made up for it. My only real disappointment was that someone else who went on the bad excursion ended up getting money back, but when we complained, we were told noone else had raised these concerns. I wasn't after money back, but wasn't impressed at being clearly lied to!

Lots of people mention the constant 'upselling.' This definitely does happen, but actually we just ignored it and didn't find it overwhelming. Its not a 'hard sell,' they just mentioned things that were available, and although we chose not to buy into most of them, people we met along the way did, and they were glad those things were available.

Agree the spa is overpriced, which is a big shame. From my visits to the USA, I think spa prices are generally much higher over there, and prices seem to be more in line with USA prices than UK prices.

Disembarkation was incredible easy and well organised.

Overall, a great experience. Great ports, and a lovely cruise

Mrsweeble's Full Rating Summary

Inside Stateroom 9
Cabin 09 9260

Decent sized cabin and very clean.

Lots of storage, including under the bed, and a good sized bathroom

Left late. Tour guide didn't know what she was talking about and kept arguing with the driver. 25 mins spent in a souvenir shop (at 2am) and some of the itinerary not completed

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Brugge (Bruges)

Not really a long enough stop.

Didn't go to Bruges, just went into Blankenberge, which was disappointing

Berlin

Warnemunde and Rostock both pretty enough but a bit uninspiring.

LONG time in port for people who went to Berlin, but excursions too expensive. We worked out it was cheaper to get flights AND accommodation from the UK to Berlin than to go on the excursion.

Helsinki

Loved Helsinki. Had great weather and a lovely walk around

Stockholm

Beautiful city, easy to get to from the port

Mrsweeble