3. Carnival Freedom
My wife and I have done the Western Caribbean cruise many times, so decided to do an Eastern Caribbean one. She wanted to see Key West too so we booked out of Galveston. We live in New Orleans, so it was only a 6 hour drive. This was our first time on the Freedom and it was my 13th Carnival cruise. Things started out wet as there was flash flooding in Galveston when we arrived. We were detoured away from the ship for a bit, but eventually made our way around through some half-flooded streets. Our VIFP status was certainly helpful on debarkation/embarkation processes, they really zipped us through on both ends. Service: For our experience, the service was fantastic. We were traveling with my sister-in-law and her 2 daughters and they felt the same way. Staff was always friendly and helpful. Rahmat was our steward and he was excellent. Peter and Charles waited on us in the dining room and they really took care of us. Mark and Svetlana(sp?) were fantastic bartenders at Alchemy Bar. There were 2 girls from Thailand who were baristas at the Viennese coffee bar. I can't recall their names, but they made great coffee. One of them was flying home to for 7 weeks before returning. She was excited to be going home for a while. Dining: I was impressed with the food on this cruise. I thought the food in the Posh dining room was very consistent. My wife, son, step-daughter and I sat together and we're pretty adventurous. We tried many things and shared a good bit. All items I had were well cooked. No complaints. Loved the desserts too. We did one night at the steakhouse and we were all impressed and really enjoyed our meal there. My wife and I purchased the Cheers! program and we thought it was well worth it as well. Activities: My neice, 7, joined the kids camp and really enjoyed herself. Her older sister, 13, did some activities with the older group as well. We played a few bar games, spent some time in the casino, but didn't do any bingo or auctions this cruise. We did as much chilling in the sun as we could, but weather dogged us a bit. Entertainment: Only did a couple of shows so can't say too much. Meh. I must say that, Malcolm, the cruise director, was great at his job. Everyone loved him. Excursions/Ports of Call: Our itinerary was altered not long after we boarded. Tropical Storm Colin was in the Gulf, right behind us, and we began to feel it. It was decided that we were going to go to Nassau first, then Freeport, then Key West instead of the other way around. We also had another day at sea as we tried to reach calmer seas. It was pretty rough for a couple days and a few of our group had some issues. Once we got further east, things improved. Nassau-We did a little shopping after leaving the ship. When we got tired of walking, we found a taxi-van which took us all to Smather's Beach, a public beach. Spent a few hours there, took the Jitney bus back to town then had lunch. We did a little more window-shopping and then got back on board. There were at least 4 other boats in port that day and I think most people were going to Atlantis. We decided to avoid it. Freeport-I'd booked something at Paradise Cove as we thought we'd do some snorkeling. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate as it was very windy and rough. We all tried snorkeling but you really couldn't see anything. Then it began to rain which kept stopping then starting again. We left a little early, got back to port and shopped and ate some conch fritters before getting on board. Key West-There was an unexpected consequence of us visiting the Bahamas first before Key West; everyone had to go thru customs before we could re-enter the US. All US citizens had to get up at 6am that morning to see customs officials before getting off the ship. That process took a couple hours, but we were told that they'd extended our time in port by an hour. Well, right before we were to get off, then we were told that we DIDN'T get the extra hour. Customs had changed their mind, I guess. We had to be back on board by 2:30pm and it was almost 10am by the time we got to Duval St. We also docked by US Naval Air Base so we had to be shuttled through there as well. All in all, we didn't have much time to spend there. We did Duval St., the Hemingway House, the Lighthouse and had a bite to eat. Beautiful place, hope to return for a longer stay. Summary: We had a great time even with the weather always at our heels. Impressed with boat and staff!

Great cruise, just a little wet...

Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by sprog

Ages 13 to 15
Get Carnival Freedom price drops

Interior
Cabin 4E 7226
Big enough for the 2 of us, everything in it's place. No problem. Just what we expected.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins