3. Westerdam
We had planned this cruise before my husband died, but he had made me promise to go even without him. I had mixed feelings but continued on with the cruise. I arrived in San Diego two days before the cruise and was able to tour the city before the cruise. I was also able to go to a pre-cruise dinner with some of my new Cruise Critic friends. Embarkation went smoothly for me but from what I hear there was a long wait after our group got through. We did have to wait a while before we were allowed to board but we were able to sit while we waited. I felt sorry for those who were still on the long lines waiting to check in. I had stayed at the HAL hotel (Sheraton Marina) and used the HAL transfer to the port and we arrived before the long lines started. I had a great time in spite of the weather (which only Mother Nature can control) and because of some great friends I made on Cruise Critic before the cruise. I had an obstructed view cabin. I choose this cabin because I knew it had a floor to ceiling window which gives you more light in the room. My stewards were always polite and friendly and if I needed something willing to help me. They would greet me by name every time they saw me and ask how I was doing and if I needed anything. I found the service in the MDR to be very good. I had open seating because I like to meet new people and never had a problem being seated. Depending on who I was seated with the time I spent in the MDR was perfect. Some nights we would be talking so much we didn’t realize how much time had passed. But no one every rushed us out. I prefer to eat breakfast in the MDR so did not eat that often in the Lido. I did use the Salad Bar in the Lido and also the Dive In for their hamburgers. You can ask for the hamburger without some of the toppings if you so choose. The fries were my downfall, they are great. As far as the pre-made sandwiches, I prefer to have one made to order so I didn’t eat those. I am not a sun worshiper so did not use the pool or lounge chairs on the Lido Deck. I did go and sit at a table in the shade to either listen to music by the Hawaiian group or to just sit and read. I found the entertainment to be very good. There were plenty of lectures to go to if that was what you enjoyed to do. Kainoa gave lectures on Hawaii and the Islands we were visiting. Other lectures were things I wasn’t interested in so didn’t attend. But there was so always something to do not matter what you enjoyed doing. Jorge had activities for those who liked to keep moving. He had a Westerdam Treasure Hunt, The Big Kahuna Activity Challenge, to name a few. Also there was Trivia with Mario or Pub Trivia with Jorge. For those who enjoy music there was Anna in the Piano Bar. The entertainment in the Show Lounge was also very good; from the HAL Dancers and Singers to all the other entertainers they brought on board. Through the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet I met a log of new friends and we had a lot of activities and excursions planned long before we even arrived on the ship. So I could never say I was bored or had nothing to do with all that was going on. I did most of my excursions through private vendors which my Cruise Critic friends had arranged before we even started the cruise. There were a few I did with HAL and found them adequate for the price. We did miss two ports (Fanning Island and Rarotonga) because of the weather and the strong sea swells, but that was for safety reasons. I had read of a tender on the World Cruise getting pushed into the coral that surrounds the islands in January so I agreed with the Captain’s call of not going to those islands in the bad seas. We were well compensated with both a $100 on board credit and a 15% credit toward a future cruise booked by April 30 of 2017. I have two more cruises already planned. Disembarkation was pretty smooth and I used the HAL transfer to the airport. Overall I would rate this cruise as outstanding.

Fantastic South Pacific

Westerdam Cruise Review by Traveling Dot

• Sail Date: April 2016
  • Destination: South Pacific
  • Cabin Type: Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)

Disembarkation was pretty smooth and I used the HAL transfer to the airport.

Overall I would rate this cruise as outstanding.
Traveling Dot’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

Large Outside Stateroom (fully obstructed views)
Cabin H 4085
This cabin is near the middle of the ship and even though if is an obstructed view you can see the ocean, the sky and when in port the town. There is plenty of closet and storage space. The bathroom has a full tub with shower and a medicine cabinet with more shelves for storage of personal items.
Upper Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins