Ruby Princess Cruise Review

Ruby Princess Cruise Review by steverk

• Sail Date: Jun 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Balcony

My wife and I had an awesome time on the Ruby Princess. We were celebrating our 30th anniversary and splurged on a balcony cabin.

The weather was unbelievable. Calm seas, warm temperatures, and cloudless skies every day but one. No rain at any time. The cruise director said that the weather was the best that Princess has ever seen on a 7 day Alaska cruise. This was probably overstated, but it would be hard to top it!

The ship was very clean, comfortable and well decorated. The shows were good and plentiful enough that we were never bored.

We ate in the Horizon/Caribe buffet for breakfast and lunch and the main dining room for dinner. The food was typical for a cruise ship. That is, it was fancy, exotic and well presented. Taste was so-so. Even so, we always enjoy eating on a ship and this was no exception.

Service on board was absolutely top notch. The wait staff were always there with a smile and our cabin steward was very efficient and friendly.

With all of this said, I would not recommend this cruise for a family. They had activities for younger kids, but not much for the 15-25 crowd. No indoor pool or rock climbing. Princess is targeting an older crowd and they do it well.

steverk's Full Rating Summary

Balcony
Cabin BF R242

The cabin was comfortable and well decorated. The balcony was a very nice feature that we've never purchased before. We used it more than I expected and really enjoyed it. If there is ever a cruise where a balcony is worth the money, it would be Alaska.

The room was small and my wife and I bumped in to each other a lot, but that is to be expected on a ship. The bathroom was the smallest I've ever seen, but it served our needs and I have no complaints.

Our cabin steward did an outstanding job and we really enjoyed thed cruise

Pike Place Market

We took the tour at the end of the cruise that showed us the sights of Seattle and left us at the airport. It made sense as we could do this instead of a transfer and I'm glad we did. That said, the Space Needle and Pike Street were extremely crowded and it was impossible to see much. However, the bus driver was knowledgeable and fun. He highlighted many places in town beyond the scheduled stops and we enjoyed ourselves.

View All 61 Pike Place Market Reviews
Space Needle

This was included with the Pike Street Market tour and my comments for that apply here as well.

View All 54 Space Needle Reviews
Misty Fjords Flightseeing

It was incredible! The clear skies meant that we had unlimited views of breathtaking scenery. It was by far the most awesome excursion I've ever taken.

View All 166 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews
Juneau

My wife and I enjoyed wandering the streets of Juneau and just took it easy. Beyond the normal jewelry stores, we discovered several Alaskan craft shops and walked by the state capital. (Call me strange, but my bucket list includes seeing all 50 state capitals) It was under construction, so I couldn't go in.

Juneau is a very pretty town and is an interesting walking adventure.

Rafting

We went on the ocean rafting adventure. It met at the base of the pier and they drove us to the small boat harbor. I'm not sure why they bothered with the ride as it was maybe 200 yards.

Once there, we put on orange exposure suites so we would look like orange smurfs! It was fun but they were pretty hot given the sunny, 80 degree day. Once we boarded the boat, the exposure suits felt very good.

The boat was better described as a motor boat than a raft, but it moved right along and our captain enjoyed doing donuts in the water to add to the fun. Otherwise, the calm seas made for a very smooth ride.

We stopped at several spectacular waterfalls and more that a few Eagles. Most of them were just sitting on branches soaking up the exceptionally bright sunshine. A few would take off after a few minutes and we got to see them in flight.

It was a great excursion and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Victoria

Victoria is a wonderful town to explore. We took a few moments to photograph the totem poles next to the BC museum and the parliament building. Then we walked the shoreline for a 1/2 mile or so until it started getting dark. Victoria was a very bright and vibrant city after dark, but we decided to get back to the ship. Tomorrow is disembarkment!

Both my wife and I agreed that we need to come back and stay in Victoria for a few days.

steverk