3. Sun Princess
Couple in our late 40's. My 2nd cruise, reluctant husbands first. My first cruise was also a sampler on the Pacific Jewel so thats where I am coming from. Very similar sized ship to the Jewel, with an overall older clientelle. The atrium and public areas a little glitzier and brighter. Public areas more open, less intimate. Firstly let me say, that I was expecting a 3/5 experience, similar to pac jewel and in this respect this cruise surpassed it. At this price range I wasnt expecting big and lavish and new but comfortable and pleasant and thats what we got. We had no itinerary issues, no major plumbing issues (once I understood how to work the shower....check the cabin comments) and no drama's per se. We did receive a smaller, clean comfortable cabin with a very comfy bed, a pausity of sockets (do bring a power board Aussies), a small balcony and great service. For food we were assigned the late seating in the regency dining room. This we had 2 lunches in, which we enjoyed. They were not 5 star but a solid 4 and given that we are dealing with mass food production , hot enough and enjoyable. The breads and pastries, as well as service were great. We had dinner one night at curtis stones Share and I had the chicken which was simply one of the nicest dishes Ive ever had. I dont eat mushrooms so the options were limited. Husband had the beef pot pie and it was good. We also had some superb steaks in the Sterling Steakhouse. I like my medium-rare quite pink and it was cooked to perfection. In fact our server asked us to cut the steak upon delivering it to make sure we were happy. Breakfast in the horizon dining room less hectic than the jewel, and the service was better than the pantry. The food was better I think and I prefer serving myself but each to their own. Very sad that the pizzeria went. The pizza I saw on deck looked crap. Coffee everywhere was truly horrible. Bring your own drip filter if you can. Alot more staff in the bars, and they seemed happier. Embarkation at portside a bit of a shamozzle as the low tide meant a manual walk up the gangway and with the elderly demographic, slow going. But our luggage was outside our rooms and we were on in about an hour and a bit. Could hear many people grumbling but I expected to queue and wait. Port staff were polite. Getting off in Sydney was a doddle and you cant beat the location at the OPT. Only disappointment I had was having preorganised and prepaid for some champagne, bourbon, chocolates and canapes and wanting to surprise hubby for our anniversary - Id assumed theyd be in our cabin waiting for us with my loving notes attached....nup. Coupons. We had to run around the boat collecting these at the various venues and it was a major hassle, especially the champagne that room service refused to deliver as theyd not received the correct coupon(was still attached to our coupon)...sucked the romance out of it for sure. Also the canapes were horrible...piped mystery creams on circles of stale bread. Total waste of effort and dont recommend doing this. And having a dud cabin card that was unable to be remagnetised until the next day (why???) was annoying...but not a deal breaker. I do recommend purchasing the half bottles of liquor, and buying the soda can deal. ($22AUD for a half bottle of JB and $13 for 6 cans of coke) This saved us quite a bit of money, as did the happy hour buy 2nd drink for $1 deal in the Wheelhouse bar, which was very busy. The staff did well and whilst there was a small wait it was well staffed and quite a buzzy atmosphere. Wine in the dining rooms could be kept between meals which I thought was a great idea, as it was expensive even by the bottle. We did bring a bottle of wine each on board too but you have to drink these in your cabin. Overall a pleasant and enjoyable cruise. I ate well, slept well, enjoyed sitting on our balcony looking at Australia go past, watched the sun go down and spent a romantic few days with my loved one. Would I do it again. Yes! Would I do it again on the Sun Princess. Yes! She is dated and a little kitschy but her staff were lovely...solid 4 stars from me. If you go looking for fault you will find it, no doubt, its all about the attitude that you chose to adopt. If you decide to have a good time you will. If I'd paid top dollar and this was a once in a lifetime trip that Id set my heart on being perfect I may have a different view but for a few days it was great and we came back new....

Had a nice time!!

Sun Princess Cruise Review by seatripmama

Very sad that the pizzeria went. The pizza I saw on deck looked crap.

Coffee everywhere was truly horrible. Bring your own drip filter if you can.

Alot more staff in the bars, and they seemed happier.

Would I do it again. Yes! Would I do it again on the Sun Princess. Yes!

seatripmama’s Full Rating Summary
Get Sun Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BE A703
Small but functional.(smaller than pacific jewel).
very small table on balcony.room for 2 only. Would be impractical as a quad I suspect.
Comfy bed...top was very soft but mattress was firm and supportive. We slept well.
Could only find 1 AU powerpoint...behind the TV. Had to decide...phone or TV...
Shower was idiosyncratic...top dial is on/off, bottom dial is temperature. There were only millimetres between scalding and tepid/cold but once in that 'sweet' spot could be left and was the right setting for the next shower. Took a good 5-10 minutes, and some expletives to realise I needed to ignore the numbers and to find it though.

No plumbing issues but I was mindful of not 'overloading' it with too much paper.

Room situated at the aft, starboard, underneath the sauna on level 11. Concerns about being partially under the riviera deck re noise, proved unfounded. proximity to lifts very good and not noisy at all. Bit of a walk to midship/atrium and horizon court/pointy end of ship though, so may not be a good choice for the mobility challenged.
Aloha Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins