3. Pacific Jewel
I am writing to advise other potential future customers for a P&O Cruise and the treatment they can expect. This is a account of many issues that occurred on our cruise that completed on the 27th May. Cruise J624 on the Pacific Jewel. We organised a holiday voyage to join up 3 separate family's as we all live apart from Melbourne up to Townsville. As we had kids, were advised to book real early as only a limited amount of children are allowed on board, due to this we had payed full price as this cruise was organised over a year ago so no discounts. On arrival at our cabin on departure (16th May) in the corridor outside our room was 5 blower/driers going and a strong smell of heavy deodorisers. The next day we awoke to a large commotion going on outside our door, the cabin had a pool of water flowing in under the door and seeping in to under the table some 2 metres inside the cabin. The cabin cleaner knocked on our door and told us a leakage had sprung from the clean water main outside the cabin and not to worry. About 20 minutes later the room started to stink and we found out the leakage was raw sewage! I went into the corridor and P&O staff were using a 10 metre long sewage snake on the pipes in the wall behind our cabin. The whole family including kids had been walking through this mess it to access the bathroom! The 5 P&O workers outside our door knew it was sewage and lied to us. We were finally offered a downgraded cabin a week later we accepted. My kids, wife and mother had to sleep in a cabin stinking of sewage. This sewage issue was obviously a ongoing issue from a previous cruise and not adequately fixed. Other issues. 1/ we booked 2 ad joining cabins, we were separated. 2/ kids club, we chose P&O over other cruise options as kids club advertised for 2 to 6 yo. We tried to book out now 2yo in and were told by kids club staff this was not possible as all children attending must be fully toilet trained before they can attend? As our 2 year old is not toilet trained he could not attend at all! This is not made clear and only when you review the fine print is it pointed out. The small compensation paid onboard for 3 adults (our child not included,,why) to us over this issue was the same as the 5 adjoining cabins, but they only had raw sewage outside the cabin, not over 2 metres inside the cabin, this leaving the cabin stinking and ongoing air dryers required to be in our room. Since our return I have been constantly trying to get adequate compensation from P&O. Have finally been offered another $750 in total for our cabin of 4 on top of the on board compensation of about $450 and a $200 payment for a room downgrade. Have spoken to a few legal services and have been told as it happened on a overseas registered ship in international waters, it's not like a simple small claims tribunal claim. Think VERY seriously about taking a future voyage. A lot better holiday options out there. The onboard staff look like walking Zombies, can walk pass the reception desk and see the same faces dreaming of better places to be, the cabin attendants, food staff all look totally burnt out from working 16 hour days. The whole first week I must have visited the reception desk about 20 times trying to get my family out of that cabin and had to deal with their pathetic but well practiced customer "conflict resolution" tactics. I watched the same women on reception run behind the counter every time I was in the line as she did not want to deal with me. She preferred her co workers to handle my inquiries (yes I know you did!) Would love to hear from others on our voyage down on deck 5. The beautiful islands we visited were amazing but all of the issues we all had in our time on the Pacific Jewel and your staff completely spoilt it.

P&O Poo Cruise

Pacific Jewel Cruise Review by Richrob33

Cruise J624 on the Pacific Jewel.

The 5 P&O workers outside our door knew it was sewage and lied to us.

We were finally offered a downgraded cabin a week later we accepted.

My kids, wife and mother had to sleep in a cabin stinking of sewage.

Other issues.

1/ we booked 2 ad joining cabins, we were separated.

Would love to hear from others on our voyage down on deck 5.

Richrob33’s Full Rating Summary
Ages Under 3
Ages 3 to 6
Get P&O Australia Pacific Jewel price drops

Very old and tired, paint chipped off everywhere, the ladders for the double bunks were damaged at the top area and easy to pinch little fingers, roof a lot lower in our room after viewing other rooms and being later transferred to another.
Mostly due to all the service pipes meeting about the cabin.
(As we found out after the major sewage leak)