3. Carnival Splendor
We sailed on the Carnival Journeys 9 Day Cruise on the Splendor. We sailed from Miami to Bermuda, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove (Dominican Republic North Shore). We had a great time! We had a total of 10 in our group. Some of us drove, and some flew into Miami. I was in a group that drove down from Atlanta. We stopped over in Tampa the night before. We got up and headed toward Miami in the early morning of the embarkation day. There was an accident that shut down the highway near Fort Myers. We bailed off of I-75 at exit 131 and trekked on some state roads back to Alligator Alley. This cost us some time. We intended on getting to the parking garage at 11:00AM, we ended up there around 1:10PM. Premiere Cruise Parking We parked at Premiere Cruise Parking in Miami (www.premierecruiseparking.com 1415 NE 2nd Ave, Miami, FL 33132). We had a great experience with them on embarkation day. We parked in the covered area of the garage, and were shuttled to the port in a timely fashion. We took our keys with us. Others told us that they had to leave their keys with the attendants. So, keep this in mind if you choose to use them. When we returned from the cruise we waited 1 1/2 hours for a shuttle to take us back to the garage. This was mainly due to port authority issues. When we got our luggage and went to the meeting place there was a van waiting. Unfortunately it was full, and it left. Then we waited in the hot sun on a concrete island. Bad experience, but I do not think it was their fault. Many other shuttles were delayed just the same. Some people were waiting longer than us for other services. Also, when we got back to the garage there was a LONG line waiting to be shuttled to the port. It was 11:30AM by the time we reached the garage, so these people should have been moving already (first shuttle TO the port is at 11:00). I guess overall this was a mixed experience, some great, some not. Embarkation We got to the port around 1:30PM. We had selected earlier boarding times, so we were allowed into the security area without waiting. Security checks went quickly. We then headed upstairs for check-in and received our sign and sail cards. They were still calling boarding numbers, but we were too late to get a number. We had to wait in the chairs until the last numbers were called, then they let everyone else board. I still think I was on the ship by 2:20PM. The good news was that my cabin was ready, so I dropped my carry on luggage and headed to the lido. I located my wife and brother and waited in line for food. I chose the burger line since it was the shortest. I stood in one place for at least 10 minutes, then moved a few feet. This guy behind me flagged down an officer in white and let him know he was unhappy with the slow lines. The officer said "let me fix this" and went behind the scenes. He came back about 5 minutes later and said he handled it. The good news is that he did, we were moving right nice after that. I think I got into line at 3:00PM and had a burger by 3:30PM. This is not an exaggeration. The lines were LONG and SLOW. Alas, it will take more than that to kill my vacation. The rest of the times (not Embarkation) the lines were not cumbersome. Cabin We had an inside cabin on deck 7. Cabin 7279, first cabin aft of the glass elevators. Great location for the most part. No noise from the lobby/atrium area since they close the hall doors at night. The cabin was clean and kept that way by or steward. His name was Pan, and he took excellent care of us. The only downside of this cabin location was that we had dinner in the aft restaurant, so we had to hike the hallway all the way back to the aft elevators/stairs to get to dinner. It was quick to get to the casino/promenade and quick to serenity and lido decks. Also very convenient to Customer Service desk. The only negative thing about the cabin was the fridge was not "cold". It was more "cool" than "cold". We brought along a fan so the cabin was cool enough while we were sleeping. The last night was a little warm as we had to pack up the fan with our luggage. Sea Days The sea days were a mixed bag. Some were very windy (also fog/mist/rain), and others were no wind, and almost too warm. I still enjoyed them. Ports of Call Bermuda Day 1 - we took a van from the port to Horseshoe Bay for $7 a head. We rented two lounger chairs and an umbrella for $25. The weather was perfect. We went swimming in the main beach area and enjoyed it. Then we went around the big rock and found the secluded cove. This was amazing. We swam and snorkeled there. It was a bit rough beyond the boarder rocks. Did not see too much other than a few fish and some rocks. Still I really enjoyed this beach. Day 2 - we walked around the dockyard shops and clock tower mall. We took the dockyard trolley train off the pier. This was nothing but a ride. No narration, etc., but still pretty fun. The shops were nice (a bit pricey). My wife enjoyed it. Once again excellent weather. Grand Turk My wife and brother went to the pool at Magaritaville. My friend and I snorkeled. We went to the right of the pier (heading off pier from ship). We found some cool coral and fish and urchins along the rocky shoreline. We then headed to the beach area and roped off swimming area. We found a cannon and anchor that were planted there. They were still cool to see. A bunch more fish and some corals and sponges. BE CAREFUL ON THE ROPE, we were both stung by the rope. Jellyfish like stings. Didn't ruin our fun, but definitely let us know not to touch the rope again. Great weather again. Amber Cove We had a poolside cabana. WE LOVED IT. It included free wifi and zipline use. It also has pool floats and noodles. We had "P-11" which is the furthest from the bar building. They brought six sodas and six waters and put them in the fridge. Also some snacks. Nothing to curb your hunger. I went back onboard the ship and got some burritos for our lunch. The A/C for the cabana is way undersized. It doesn't blow cold or really get rid of the humidity. It made some difference, just not enough. All of the staff were helpful and polite. No begging for tips. So, guess what, we tipped them well. The only begging we heard was for us to return to Amber Cove as they really need us tourists. Did I mention the perfect weather once again? It was. Ship Very clean and kept that way by the staff. Most Carnival ship decor is way too gaudy, and the Splendor is too. I did enjoy the hall art of the "Brat Pack" era. That was nice. The decor didn't really bother me, just the norm, albeit very pink. The Serenity deck does not have a pool or hot tub. It did have a shower, but it is no fun hanging out in the shower on deck. The chairs were generally full, but you could find space. We were only able to score one of those round covered chairs the last day. Lido Pool has a siding cover for inclement weather. This means the big screen is lower and harder to see. It kind of has the old Fantasy Class feel to it, a pool surrounded by upper decks. It was OK, but few loungers and you had to get there early if you wanted one. The staff did a great job of placing "chairing is caring" stickers on the lounge hoarder's towels. Rear pool was fantastic. Very open and breezy. Spas here were luke warm. Lido buffet was great. Fresh food and hot at times. Burrito bar was great. Deli was too. I did not get tot the Mogolian Wok, Rotisserie, or Tandoori. Long lines for these, or weird hours. Dining room food was great as well. We had two lobster days since it was a Journeys cruise. Journeys Cruise They had some special seminars onboard. I missed them all. I also did not notice the "local musicians", they all seemed the normal variety cruise ship performers. We did have a few dishes on the menu one night that were "local". Other than that it just seemed like a longer cruise than a 7 day cruise. This was fine for me, but it did seem to be missing the extras that a Journeys Cruise is supposed to have. Staff Cabin Steward was fantastic! He came around with the list to choose "morning" or "evening" service. I told him I wasn't used to having to make a choice. He said, "then choose both." So, I did. He greeted us by name in the hallway. He also opened our cabin door for us if he saw us heading that way. Auto tips and extra tips for him! Dining Room servers were great. Roxi, Akrem, and Jose knew us by name after the first day, and pretty much guessed our preferences. They handled all the special requests with smiles. Auto tips and extra tips once again! Cruise Director Chloe Loddo was our cruise director. She did a great job. She came to the Cruise Critic meet and mingle. She also brought along the senior officers of Hotel and Food. It was great to meet them all. A fellow mingler complained about something and the officer brought in free bar servers for us. So, we had free drinks at our M&M! Bad Stuff I hate to mention bad stuff when I take a cruise, but the bottom line is that this cruise felt understaffed. The staff were way overworked. The cabin steward had twice the cabins. The waiters had three times the tables. We felt it most during the dining. It took at least 25 minutes to get the appetizers after ordering. We had the early seating, assigned dining. We rarely finished eating before the late seating folks were lined up outside. I'm not sure our wait staff could have physically served everyone any faster. There were just too many seats to feed per staff member. You could also see the "stress" they were feeling. They always smiled, but the underlying stress was definitely there. Debarkation I had zone 6 debarkation. We were released from the ship around 10:00AM. I went to collect my bags from carousel "C" as instructed on the signs. I collected three bags, once from "C" and two from "B". What a madhouse. I also could not get a porter to help me with the bags. My wife hurt her knee and was flying home. So, I had to handle her baggage. I ended up stacking and pushing and pulling four bags through customs and out to the curb. All of the porters I saw were busy helping others, and I couldn't flag one down. None of the Carnival staff could get me one either.

Splendor 9 Day Bermuda Journey May 2016

Bermuda

Grand Turk

Amber Cove

Ship

Rear pool was fantastic. Very open and breezy. Spas here were luke warm.

Journeys Cruise

SonOfSailor’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Splendor price drops

Interior
Cabin 4F 7279
This is the first cabin aft of the main Atrium/Lobby. It is on deck 7, starboard side. The location was great and it was relatively quiet. I do not recall any hall noise or music at odd times. I was able to sleep and rest in the cabin comfortably. The fridge did not get cold, and neither did the A/C. We brought a fan that remedied the A/C (we were very comfortable with the fan and A/C and we like to sleep in a cold room). Everything else was clean and in working order.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins