3. Norwegian Getaway
This was a family cruise that my father booked as a sort of graduation present to me. There were four adults (two in their 50s and two in their late 20s) and a small child (< 3 yrs), all together. We had 2 cabins on the same floor but opposite ends of the boat. Overall I would say that this was a quality cruise, I felt as though service was definitely a little lackluster at times (people in the restaurants plainly looked exhausted). Our cruise sailed to Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya, and Cozumel with a day at sea each way to get there. Ship Overall, I think that there is a ton to do on the ship and to be honest I did not even have the chance to do it all. I was not able to get to the slides, or the ice bar ($20 I think), which I was really interested in. I agree with some other reviewers in that the ship feels a bit compartmentalized, just not as open and airy in some places (like the atrium), which really isn't that big of a deal but just worth noting. I would argue that this is the perfect ship for children, as there is so much to do. I found it strange that the casino is out in the open on one of the main atrium floors, this means that smoke tends to carry around that area, and you have to walk through it to get to some things. Dislike. Also, the pool situation was a bit of a mess, there is only one main pool for the entire ship, then they have a younger kids pool area next to the splash park (for small children), although this was pretty fun for my nephew. Since they have the private Haven area (read $$$) and that is exclusive for those guests, they did away with space for extra pools. But there was always enough lounge chairs, and plenty of bar space. 8th deck walkable area - I actually really liked this, you could walk around to all the different bars, and restaurants along the outside of the ship, almost at sea level. It was nice and you could stroll around and see everything. Gym/Spa - I walked over here once, it looked really nice, nice equipment and whatnot. I wanted to try to yoga classes on the ship ($10 a piece) but I never made it over there. Wifi - really don't even think about it, it is crazy expensive, and it is satellite so it is super slow. I had to use it once just to send an email and it nearly took me 10 minutes. The ports all have free wifi so just check it out when you get off the ship if you must. Dining We ate at 3 of the pay to dine restaurants and overall the food on the ship was just average to me. We had a package for those 3. Cagneys - This was the best of the restaurants that cost extra, the food was great, not excellent and the service was good. We ate here the first night. Moderno - This was my least favorite, you would think that for a Brazilian themed steak house they would at least get the steak right, well it was just okay. This is the type of restaurant where they come around with meat on skewers that they shave off slices for you. Well, skip it in my opinion. They sides they have, buffet style, were better than the main attraction. Teppanyaki - This very good, a typical hibachi style dinner, cook the food in front of you and the chef puts on a little show. Very good though. Shanghai's noodle Bar - decent asian food, don't get the chicken broth bowl though, this one is included but you'll have to wait because it is very small (also it is located in the middle of the casino area for those that care) O'Sheehan's - ate here at lunch before disembarking, it was just okay. Typical pub food, wanted to eat there on prime rib night, but missed it. Flamingo Grill - This is the winner, by far. This eatery features typical Cuban dishes that literally taste like they were made by my father (a cuban)! Everything here was excellent. Try the pastelitos (get the guava!!!) You can also get breakfast here, and apparently they had an omelet station, that had no line (unlike the buffet) Buffet - typical buffet food, I thought the breakfast was the best from here, always have eggs, sausage, bacon, the works! Taste/Savor - You will find typical dishes here, and there is a fee option for some things, steaks, etc. The food was good, but not out of the ordinary. Tropicana Room - I loved the idea of this restaurant, there is a dance floor and there was a band playing during dinner when we ate here. It is supposed to be reminiscent of the old miami style. I loved it, the food was good. Carlo's Bakery - yummy! everything here was delicious, but you may miss it, is it tucked away in the back corner on the 8th deck, but check it out. We had some macarons (the french pastry) which are my favorite and were really good! Overall - the food on the ship was heavily salted, which resulted in me being bloated almost the entire trip, I am not used to eating that kind of food on a regular basis, and that combined with the fact that I was probably not drinking nearly enough water and maybe more alcohol than normal did it. Beverages - we had the beverage (alcohol) package, didn't have to worry about a thing, except when we were in port (apparently they charge you tax on the drink if you are at port). Entertainment Shows - We started our cruise during the transition phase of the entertainment schedule so didn't really have any cool shows, i think our were burn the floor and another we never got to see. Overall, it was a quality production but nothing to write home about. Activities (Children) - plenty to do even for my 2, almost 3 year old nephew. They had a little group called "guppies" where they had something going on almost every day for the children. I think we only got around to one, which was a painting thing, they used edible organic paints so that was cool. My nephew loved loved the splash park, and mini golf, and woke up every morning asking to play. He was too small to go on the slides though. There were also game areas (one specifically for kids and another next to O'Sheehans) that had basketball, bowling, and the typical arcade games but they had to be paid for. Activites (Adults) We did 3 exceptions and so did not spend much time doing the activities for adults, I think the cruise does the typical game show type things but the thing is they do it in the atrium, in front of everyone passing by (kind of unusual). Comedy - We did see one of the comedy shows which was really funny. Others - There are also usually some sort of liquor tastings going on every day, but didn't make it to any of those. Ropes Course - We did try the obstacle course which was awesome in my opinion, it was the last day so there was a bit of a wait, but worth it. There is a ledge you can walk out over the side of the ship on, and I did it. I think they take pictures but i never saw mine. As well, there is a little zipline at the end, which was cool! Rock Climbing - didn't get to make it to this one but I wanted to do it so bad, didn't have enough time! Pool - Spice H2O was the adult only lounge area that is included in the fee for the ship, it was cool. Had a nice little bar, some seating area, lots of lounge chairs and this cool grotto type water thing (only thing i can think to call it) that was nice if you wanted to cool off. Spent some time getting rays here away from the kiddos. It is on the 16th deck in the back. Service To be honest, service was a so-so. It seemed like (and i'm sure that was the case) everyone on that ship was tired! You could tell that everyone seemed a little exhausted. From the picture takers to the waiter at the restaurants, and everyone in between. The service was better at the fee dining restaurants though. There they seemed a little bit more upbeat. Ports & Shore Excursions Roatan - This was the first stop on our cruise, we booked a shore excursion through the ship to go to Maya Key. The whole family went (4 adults and 1 toddler) It was a short boat ride to the private island, and it included lunch and two tours of the island, chairs and beach access. They have pay for Wifi here, $10 for the whole day. The island was gorgeous. They have an animal sanctuary on the island, which consists of rescued animals, which we loved. We did the tour of the animals, and then we also got to go into the monkeys cage and feed them, they are very friendly and will jump right on your head. There were lots of birds, ocelots, a cougar, a pig, alligators, and many other animals. We had lunch included, it was served at the pool area which was really nice and shaded. The lunch itself was okay, rice cooked in coconut milk, fried fish or chicken, salad, and plantain (green banana) chips. They also had a recreation of some mayan ruins, which I thought was pretty neat. So you could kind of imagine how it actually looked in their time. As well, they had a small museum with replicas of some mayan objects. Then we played in the ocean for a bit and then it was time to get back to the ship! Overall, really enjoyed it, there were not a lot of people, and plenty of space to put our things, didn't have any problems with leaving our things on the chairs, while we explored. Belize City - Booked our Cave Tubing and Zipling tour through the ship.The local company is called "Chukkah" tours. This was a great trip! Cannot say enough about it, definitely a must for the adventurer in you! My sister and I did this trip (late 20s). First off, it took a while to get the show on the road, disembark take a 15-20 minute ferry ride over to the port, then gather everyone together. Also, the bus ride to the location took an hour both ways, but that being said it is totally worth it! The busses are tricked out school buses, with air conditioning. Also the tour guides talk to you on the way there, so it wasn't boring. Once you arrive to the site you have to take a switch busses to get over the giant hill to get to the actual location but that is less than 5 minutes. There they decide whether you will do the cave tubing or zip lining first. We did cave tubing first. Cave tubing - you get a helmet with a light (mine somehow broke while in the cave), and a tube, take a 20 minute trek carrying your raft (carry it on your head if your arms get tired), make sure you are wearing shoes you don't mind getting wet, and then you will arrive at the entrance to the cave, and the guide will tie your rafts together then you set on your adventure. It was awesome! It lasted about 45 mins i believe. Zip Lining - Once you are done you take a short break and change if you need to and get ready for the zip lining portion. You trek up the mountain a bit, not too much, they give you a brief safety demonstration and then you are off. There were 5 lines which you descend until you reach the bottom again. Lunch is included and was delicious but make sure you bring some cash, for the bar and/or some homemade tacos that are for sale (and amazing). Also they take pictures of you on the zip lining portion, which you can purchase afterwards if you want. On the way back we all slept and it was magnificent. Totally worth it!! Costa Maya - SN: Once you leave the ship there is a nice shopping area, with a pool and sunbathing chairs at this port, had no idea that was going to be there. But we did not stay too long there, besides for some shopping after our tour. Found a tour operator through cruise critic website for a company called" Native Tours Costa Maya" you can google it, we booked through them because their reviews were so good on trip advisor! We booked the tour for the Chaccoben ruins and the blue lagoon tour (just checked the website, not sure they are offering this particular tour anymore sorry) Anyhow, you have to leave the port area and walk a bit outside of it to get to the tour headquarters, and it was the end of may in Mexico so it was hot. But once we got there they had a man handing out waters while we waited for our tour bus to load, and got our wristbands. You have to drive for a bit, i believe it was about an hour, but its almost a straight shot there, then there is a little market area with local people selling touristy items before you see the ruins (beware they are more expensive than by the port) but you can always negotiate and they are pretty good about that. Toured the grounds of the ruins, and got to do so at our own pace, but our tour guide Rosa was awesome, she was very knowledgable and friendly! She would let us look around then tell us some info about the place. You get to see the big pyramid, and the area where they used to live, and two other smaller pyramids! Really cool! Someone from the company carries around cold waters while on the tour to hand out to us all during it, which was an amazing feature! I didn't see anyone from other groups getting ice cold water on that blazing hot day! Once we were done there, we took a short bus ride, to the blue lagoon (although we weren't sure where we were going because you turn down a dusty side road and that takes about 20 mins to get to the actual location) but once you get there! Holy cow, it's beautiful! We had lunch, which was amazing, it was a make your own taco sort of thing, rice and beans, that included drinks (beer, pina colada, and liquor i believe). Once you are done eating you go down to the water and hang out, they have kayaks and all types of things you can use for free, but we just hung out and took it easy. Not a lot of lounge chairs but enough for the amount of people that were there. The water was gorgeous and it was the perfect end to an amazing day. Cozumel - did not do any excursions in cozumel but instead spent the day wandering around the stores and bar and such. Family walked around I hung out in Senior Frogs the entire day, where there was air conditioning, music, entertainment and cheap drinks! I got a huge bowl sized frozen drink for about 9 US. Overall - Shore excursions were awesome! Loved them all.

Great All Around Family Vacation

Norwegian Getaway Cruise Review by carolineinthecity

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony

Ship

Activites (Adults)

Comedy - We did see one of the comedy shows which was really funny.

Ports & Shore Excursions

Roatan -

Belize City -

On the way back we all slept and it was magnificent. Totally worth it!!

Costa Maya -

The water was gorgeous and it was the perfect end to an amazing day.

Overall - Shore excursions were awesome! Loved them all.
carolineinthecity’s Full Rating Summary
Ages Under 3
Get Norwegian Getaway price drops

Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin MA 11202
I really enjoyed having a balcony, it was a nice addition to the cruise, and once you are out on the open sea, it is a relaxing feature.
Our room steward was great, and cleaned up after a toddler and a messy roommate the entire trip!
We stayed in room 11202, with a balcony. I liked the room very much, it had a nice sized closet to store clothes, with a shelf and a large bathroom with two sinks!
After reading another review, we asked our steward to remove the drinks from the mini fridge and stocked it with our own water bottles and gatorade, which wasn't a problem.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Cave-Tubing
    Belize City -
    On the way back we all slept and it was magnificent. Totally worth it!!
    View All 337 Cave-Tubing Reviews
  • Chacchoben Mayan Ruins
    Costa Maya -
    (Side Note: Once you leave the ship there is a nice shopping area, with a pool and sunbathing chairs at this port, had no idea that was going to be there. But we did not stay too long there, besides for some shopping after our tour.)
    We booked the tour for the Chaccoben ruins and the blue lagoon tour (just checked the website, not sure they are offering this particular tour anymore sorry) Anyhow, you have to leave the port area and walk a bit outside of it to get to the tour headquarters, and it was the end of may in Mexico so it was hot. Took about 10-15 mins. But once we got there they had a man handing out waters while we waited for our tour bus to load, and got our wristbands.
    The water was gorgeous and it was the perfect end to an amazing day.
    View All 369 Chacchoben Mayan Ruins Reviews