3. Royal Princess
This is my 3rd cruise on Princess and I have been on 2 cruises on Royal Carribean. I think I will seriously reconsider going back to Princess cruises for a very long time. I felt discriminated against because my family was Asian (although we were born in Toronto, Canada). They were really cheap with water and tried to milk every dollar for every opportunity. ------------------- Key Happenings: My fiance paid for a bottle of Dom Perignon and chocolate covered strawberries to be delivered to our room on our first day as a surprise. I didn't get anything until he told me on my 4th day when I finally touched base with him. The reception insisted there was no such order. Then suddenly the strawberries came and it looked like they threw the plate over to us, the strawberries were in disarray all over the plate. After a lot of argument and back and forth, the Dom Perignon finally arrived but with two glasses instead of three. I asked for another in which the deliveryman replied "I can't get that for you, just call your state room attendant" So we waited another hour to get in touch with our stateroom attendant to get another glass so the three of us can have our Dom Perignon. I was in the elevator, which was cramped (every time). This drunken British passenger got on and exclaimed "Does ANYONE SPEAK ENGLISH HERE?", I guess to let everyone know there were too many Asians in the elevator for his taste. ------------------- Before the Trip - Athens: We arrived the day before our embarkation in Athens. We had some time to tour the area and the ruins. Unfortunately Athens is not in a good economic state and we found that the ruins were not very well taken care of. Some historic sites were closed even though it was to be open. They hiked up the price of Temple of Zeus by two fold in the past month. We stayed in the Intercontinental Atheneum. It had a beautiful view of Acropolis from the patio at the members lounge. There were a lot of other guests from Princess cruises staying there. However, I found the hotel out of the way and there was not much around in terms of food/activities. ------------------- Embarkation: Embarkation went smoothly. I think this was the best part of our trip. It just got exponentially worse. Once we got to the ship we did the muster drill. My brother had really bad knees and we were on the 15th floor. A crew member stationed at the top of the stairs instructed us (more like herded passengers like cows) to the emergency stairs. I asked her if we could take the elevators due to my brother and his knee pain, to this she replied "THIS WAY TO THE STAIRS" - me: yes, but my brother... Crew: "THIS WAY TO THE STAIRS", me: yes I understand but he is in pain I'd like to take the.... Crew:"THIS WAY TO THE STAIRS!". Rude. Once we got to the muster station it was a mess, very disorganized. The muster 'leader' kept yelling and pointing at other Asian passengers. Its not their fault they are not fluent in English. The passengers were earnestly trying to follow. It was a sad sight. ------------------- Cabin: We had a mini-suite with the three of us (my mother, brother, and myself) with a balcony. We read the reviews and the balcony was indeed very small. Overall it was OK. Our room attendant was nice but he didn't do any special touches like leaving towel animals etc. He kept not leaving us water bottles despite us filling out the form saying we are purchasing water ($3.50 per big bottle I believe). We purchased a few bottles every day. It wasn't even Evian, some generic brand. ------------------- Ship: This is the worst ship I have been to. The communal areas are cramped and you are bumping into people all the time. Didn't help that the passengers were also extremely rude. There would be long lines and disgruntled passengers being herded like cows, left and right. It felt like there were not that many areas to just relax like other cruise ships. One area would be the 'sushi bar' and if you didn't have sushi it felt like you couldn't sit there so a bunch of chairs would just stay empty through the whole cruise and the crowds would be more intensely concentrated on areas where you wouldn't be strong-armed to buy $2-a-piece mediocre sushi. We sat next to the pool for 5 hours and watched as NOT A SINGLE pool server came by to us to ask what we wanted to drink. They were busy bees running around for other white passengers though. Finally I flagged one down and asked for a Caesar and slipped him a $5 and obviously it was not a problem afterwards. Money really talks on this ship. I lined up to grab a quick sandwich in the "Piazza" and the chefs were so annoyed with the passengers, they were yelling at us. Relax, its just a sandwich. ------------------- Pool Area: Pretty disappointing. The "movies under the stars" was a good concept but not good in execution. When you sit next to the pool the sounds are a mix of dance music - children screaming - random movie playing in the background. I don't mind dance music - children screaming but with a movie playing in the background it was really odd, also doesn't help only 30% of total passengers could see the screen. We eventually moved to "The Sanctuary" but not the paid part. I saw a few Chinese ladies have a fun conversation with each other in Mandarin, around them were other passengers having fun/laughing in English. This British lady randomly got up of her lawn chair and yelled at the Chinese ladies to keep the noise down. But they were really just conversing in Mandarin. Oh and yes, the pool servers didn't come to us or the Chinese ladies over the course of 5 hours. In the evening, movies would be playing but I hardly saw any passengers watch because it was really windy and cold. The ship didn't have a shaded jacuzzi/pool area either like other ships. ------------------- Entertainment/Activities: I never felt this on previous ships but this time around I felt like everything was a money grab left and right. They had 2 for 1 drink deals and there would just be a massive crowd heading over to one specific bar on the side of the ship (Crooners), which I don't understand because they couldn't accommodate everyone so why not have this deal throughout the ship? They heavily advertised crab shack at the buffet but it sat empty most of the time. Royal Caribbean had sushi for free at their buffet and it was great. This ship had 'sushi' on the last day but it was terrible. The servers outside of Horizon Court usually gave a frown if you asked for a cup of water. ------------------- Dining: They kept pushing us to buy bottled water at the buffet. Servers were nice but wow, I have never eaten so often on PLASTIC PLATES and CUPS before. Buffet is 100% on plasticware. They have these placemats that were so dirty. They were so busy they never wiped down the mats they would just turn it over or just re-use the same mat over and over again. It was unhygienic. We were tired of the crowd and decided to bring our food to our room. When we asked for cutlery they instructed us to just grab a few off the tables next to us. The ship didn't have a toaster for cruise passengers to use, so we were left to have stale, pre-toasted bread that would be sitting under a heated lamp. Either that or we had to flag down a chef to make toast for us, which was an unnecessary hassle for both parties. The food was OK. There was always a selection of Indian curry (I guess to accommodate for all the British Passengers). A few pastas, cold bars, roast meats, the usual. We tried the anytime dining and I found the food wasn't as fresh as the buffet. My shrimp came on a very wilted piece of lettuce. ------------------- Ports/Excursions: This was my first Europe trip and most of the ports were accessed by tender. Overall, the ports were great since a lot of the cities were ones I haven't visited before. I would've skipped excursions for Santorini and Kotor though, the port is already beautiful and there were lots to do around the port. ------------------- Disembarkation: This was great since I got to get off and away from the ship! ------------------- Summary This experience has turned around my overall expectation of cruising. I may never cruise again. It was a horrible experience being trapped on board in a cesspool of bigotry.

Discriminated for being Asian. Money grab at every opportunity. Never again.

Royal Princess Cruise Review by jaimesmile

Embarkation:

Cabin:

Ship:

Pool Area:

The ship didn't have a shaded jacuzzi/pool area either like other ships.

Entertainment/Activities:

Dining:

They kept pushing us to buy bottled water at the buffet.

Ports/Excursions:

Disembarkation:

This was great since I got to get off and away from the ship!

Summary

jaimesmile’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Princess price drops

Premium Club Class Mini-Suite with Balcony
Cabin M6 15401
The setup of our cabin was ok. There were not enough power outlets next to the bed, my mother uses a cpap and there was no way other than to have the extension cord run through the pathway so there was always a risk someone might trip on their way to the bathroom. There was a tub, which was a nice touch. The balcony was very small, room for only two people. Although the room was located right under the buffet, there was no way to get to it other than to take the elevators up one floor. If you wanted to take the stairs, we would have to walk all the way to the other side to a set of staircases and walk back across the pool area to the buffet. At around 12am I would hear loud bangs from the buffet upstairs as they are cleaning up that woke me up.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins