Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by michellesboggus@yahoo.com

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Large Ocean View Stateroom

This was my 2nd experience on Grandeur of the Seas. My first cruise in 2013 was WONDERFUL! Excellent customer service on every level. From stateroom attendant (loved Ida Ashley) to each porter. To say this cruise was different would be an understatement.

Part 1

I travelled with 16 family members and friends. My sister is handicapped, in a wheel chair and the 1st issue surfaced before we boarded the ship. She and my 83 year old mom got a late room assignment, so did not have the proper tags for their luggage. As a result, no one from Royal Caribbean would assist them with their luggage. It was pouring rain, they were in the main building, but had to get their bags to where the drop off point was. That job fell to my mom. Did I mention she was 83?

My other sister rushed to get there to assist. They then had to push my sister up the ramp to enter the ship. No handicap access was available. Again, no assistance from any Royal Caribbean employee. My mom said another little old lady did assist and finally, between the two of them they shamed someone into helping.

Part 2 began with me contacting guest services (another misnomer). What I was trying to find out was if there was a way one of my Bermuda cousins could drive up the walkway to the ship (there is a car lane) to pickup my wheelchair bound sister. I was told, repeatedly NO. Not only could they not access that lane to pick her up, no one from the ship would be able to bring her down to the road. Seems as if once again, they lied. When we departed the ship, my cousins had driven as far up the lane as they could, parked and were waiting inside the customs building when we exited.

Part 3

We also had a slight snafu with our first seating dining. Seems some travellers did not understand the meaning of seating dining or assigned tables. Our dining room staff handled it better than I would have, and we received champagne for dinner the next night as an apology. If it were not for the dining room staff, Royal Carribean would only have receive a ONE! Our dining staff went above and beyond. In fact, they were the highlight of the trip (outside of all the family fun and games).

Finally, there is the new fee of $67.50 for gratuities. I don't mind tipping, and tip based on actual service. Since tipping is now included for every person on the cruise, I feel their customer service reflects this as a given. Many people don't have the personality, the will or the heart to offer genuine customer service. Our last stateroom attendant did. The one we had for this cruise was MIA, he never once asked if we needed anything. Not once.

Guess that sums up my disappointment with Royal Caribbean, and Grandeur of the Seas. My official renaming is Ghetto of the Seas for those in the know. I hope it returns to the glory of old - old as in 2 years ago!

michellesboggus@yahoo.com's Full Rating Summary

Large Ocean View Stateroom
Cabin F 4074

We had them split our beds and still had plenty of room. Love the ocean view and kept the curtains open! Our room was in the perfect place. Right at the beginning of the aisle. No long walk down those narrow halls.

michellesboggus@yahoo.com