3. Adventure of the Seas
We are an extended family of myself,husband daughter(14) son(16), my parents and in-laws(ages 75-80). We(my family and parents) flew from Chicago direct on AA to San Juan arriving Fri 3-26-2009. We met my in-laws from Seattle. We all stayed at the Embassy Suites in San Juan. This was a great hotel for us since it included breakfast and a complimentary cocktail hour. The beach is an easy 5-10 min walk where we rented chairs for a few dollars for the day. Many restaurants were within walking distance even for my father who uses a cane. We ate at a Bistro restaurant in the Holiday Inn, at BLTs in the Ritz Carlton and Jimmy's BBQ place on the rooftop of El San Juan hotel. All were very good and we would return to all three when we go back. Friday was beach for the girls and Golf for the men. They golfed at the course at the Dorado Embassy Suites and had a great time. Our Embassy Suites helped set up tee times and travel arrangements. Saturday we took a cab to downtown San Juan and took a Segway tour with Jose's Segways tours. We had a young woman as our guide I think her name was Natalya. She was terrific. She spent many minutes training all of us until we were all comfortable. We did the 45 minute tour and could have easily done the 2 hour tour. (looks like another reason to return).Sunday we took a cab to Adventure of the Seas. It took awhile once we got close since there were MANY taxis coming to the ship. It was a bit confusing at first since there were two lines. First we waited in line to drop off the luggage then we waited in a second line to get into the building. I knew of the two lines before it just was not clear which line was which and most people were not aware there were two lines. Once we were in the building it took all of about 5 minutes to check in and get our picture taken for our SeaPass cards. We were in the Royal Suite so were able to use the Suite line. Our parents were in standard balconies on the 9th floor so they waited about 10 minutes longer than us. The rooms were nice. The balconies had plenty of room and storage for the couples.The fabrics and carpet were showing their age but not too bad. The Royal Suite was very nice. It had a large foyer with a baby grand piano in the center. The floor was marble with a carpet inset under the piano. The bedroom was to the left and had a walk in closet behind the bed with LOTS of storage. We probably used about only 50% of the storage available throughout the cabin. The bathroom was huge with a separate room with a commode, bidet, and a sink. The other half of the bathroom had a huge shower with 3 showerheads and a steam sauna. There was also a large Jacuzzi tub and a vanity with 2 sinks and again lots of storage space. To the right of the piano/foyer was a large living /dining room. The couch turned into a large double bed with extra sofa on either side of the bed. Off the dining room was a stainless steel butlers pantry that had a fridge and a sink. We used this space to store our suitcases but it is used by the staff if the occupants wanted to host a party. The carpet and couch were in great shape. No noticeable stains.We had them disconnect the doorbell with 30 minutes of arriving. We had at least 5 ding-dong-ditch in a 30 minute time. This may be because it was spring break but it was easily taken care of. Since food is so subjective I will only say that no one went hungry. We ate breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer and dinners in the dining room. Service was some of the best we've had. Service in the Windjammer was always with a smile and always offering help or beverages.There was plenty of fresh fruit and salads along with many other choices.We usually eat breakfast before 7:30am and had no difficulty finding a table but I did notice after 8am empty tables were scarce. Our dining room staff was great. Robert and Aniceto were a terrific team. The dining room menu offered a filet from Portofino's every night for $14.95. That a few from our table ordered and loved. I did not see any shows but those in the group that did enjoyed them. We went to the room after dinner and enjoyed the balcony and the hot tub. It is not really a hot tub on the balcony but rather like a bathroom jetted tub that is outside. It was enjoyed. We did not go to the concierge room much. Since my parents and in-laws were not suite members we instead enjoyed the Viking Lounge on the 14th floor or enjoyed cocktails in our room. Just a note about DeDe in the concierge. She is really great. She welcomed us and was always available if we needed anything. She went above and beyond for us. My daughter had her birthday on board and DeDe made a sign for her as a surprise. DeDe answered any questions we had and seemed always available.She also arranged a bridge tour for my family that we really enjoyed. I will note that the luggage valet service is supposed to be complimentary for suite guests and a $20 pp charge($80total)was put on our account so I am still waiting to see if it was credited. We enjoyed all the ports. In Aruba we did the See and Sea with RCCL. We all enjoyed this and was easy for the grandparents. They are all mobile but just a little slow and some minor limitations. Since snorkeling is out of the question for our group it was a great way to see many fish and turtles and see much of the island. In Curacao my husband, daughter,son and father-in-law went golfing at Bluebay. My husband arranged a taxi and tee time by email ahead of time. They seemed to enjoy it alot. My daughter did not golf but really enjoyed driving the golf cart. The seniors and I did a beach/snorkel tour through RCCL. We took an open window bus around the island with a tour guide and ended up at a beautiful beach where many people snorkeled with their own equipment or equipment offered at no charge through the tour, We lounged on chairs and relaxed in the sun or under a grass hut for shade. The water was warm and clear. We used water shoes since there were rocks and coral in the sand and bare feet was difficult. St Martin was our favorite port. It has a Mediterranean feel to it. We took a tour with Bernard an enjoyed every moment. We stopped at Orient Beach that has beautiful white soft sand and warm water. We also stopped at Maho beach and saw at least a few 757's land flying just over our heads. We also were able to stand in the path of the jet blast while a few 757's took off. This was great fun but not for the faint of heart. The pilots give a big wave to everyone waiting on the beach then turn the corner and rev up the engines. We got BLASTED with sand then the force was so hard we rolled down the beach into the water. It's not for everyone but we had a blast! St Thomas is a beautiful island. We toured with Papa Bear with Airforce 1. The bus was a comfortable open air bus. We had plenty of space and he made several stops for photo ops and a little history and an Island lesson. We then went to Sapphire Beach where we rented chairs for $7 and floating mats for $5/hour. The stay at the beach was 2 hours, just long enough to enjoy a quiet afternoon. I will add a few extra thoughts here. We noted there was very often a long wait for the elevators. Since my father could not do more than 1 flight of stairs he had to wait quite a bit. There seemed to be more smoking in the casino than other ships I remember. Also my parents noticed the slots at The Embassy Suites were more generous than on the ship. Our dining room table was on the 3rd floor right near the entrance and we saw no one turned away. One group would often come up to one hour late and were still seated. Also shorts and VERY casual tee shirts were seen on many people. These dining room things did not effect us in any way but the subjects are sometimes brought up on the boards. On at sea days chairs by the pool went quickly. We enjoy sitting on the deck above the pool for a great sea breeze since I do not need to watch children by the pool. I was able to run early every morning but it became a little too crowded for me by 7am so I made sure I was finished by 6:30 or 6:45am. Often walkers will walk two abreast while chatting instead of leaving one lane for walkers and one for runners. Many people tried to run as late as 9-10am but by then there were hundreds of people on the deck and moving chairs. Our flight was not until 3:30pm so we went back to the Embassy Suites since my in-laws were staying overnight for their flight Monday back to Seattle. The airport was empty at 1:30pm with no lines anywhere. We put our carry on luggage through the agriculture check then breezed through security with no wait. We returned to 2" of snow in Chicago. We all decided it was a wonderful trip and YES we would do it again...in a heart beat!

Would we go again?...In a heart beat!

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by sandm