3. Freedom of the Seas
Well where to begin - This was officially our 10th Cruise in 4 Years all with Royal Caribbean and ironically celebrated my wife's 50th Birthday and have increased our status to Emerald with RCCL Crown and Anchor. There is a few reasons why i mention this and as you read on you will get a much more detailed explanation. Like any other cruiser / consumer we look for Quality, Pricing, Customer Service and Availability when planning our vacations. This trip was no different. Unfortunately this trip was not as we expected - especially from RCCL. I prefer to keep the names of some of these workers out of this review in hopes that this was a fluke and do not want to label anyone, However there are a few Employees that absolutely deserve recognition. Its not all bad - just some things we noticed that either slipped by some people or just didn't seem that important. Nonetheless get on board and lets start this trip. Although were where Platinum Members when we arrived we realized that after the first day at sea we would officially be at Emerald Status with Crown and Anchor. DAY 1 We arrived in Orlando Florida a day before our cruise - we decided to stay at a hotel approx 45 min out from the port due in part because the rooms were less expensive. We arrived at Port Canaveral Approx. 10:30am on Sunday May15th. We showed our boarding pass at the gate and the RCCL rep - "welcome back" you have priority boarding status - I laughed and said to my wife - Wow last day being Platinum and we finally get some recognition. So we scurried through the check point and up to the second floor, once we got there we relaxed waiting to board. I have always liked Port Canaveral so i have no issues with any of the service or areas here. The staff are diligent - Its the passengers who are not paying attention which slows down the process. Once on board we our own ritual and head to Deck 11 for a Bonvoyage Drink. There we met our Pool Bar attendant. He was Johnny on the spot and that was about it. Being familiar with the Freedom we hung out at the pool until about 1pm knowing our Stateroom would be ready so we headed down to deck 3, As we approached our room our room steward was within 5 feet of our door - We politely introduced ourselves and went inside - A few min later our Steward came to the door - we invited him in, My wife advised him that we were simple passengers not needing allot of attention just fresh towels and Ice at night because she gets cranky without cold ice water at night, His response was "I know how that is - I would be Pissed Off" - "and if you get Pissed off at Me - then I get Pissed off at Myself" etc.... no sooner did he say this he left the room and my wife and i were standing there with our jaws on the floor. First thing i said was our we on RCCL Freedom? In all our cruises we were never had an introduction such as that. But we figured there has to be some sort of explanation, so we let that slide for the moment. Next i tried to open / close our safe which was not operating and giving me error codes - so we had no way of locking up our belongings and personal items. So, i told my wife lets go to customer service and then get some lunch - she said Ok but let me leave a note for the room steward in case he forgets the ice water. So we rote the note and left the room to go to customer service. The young man at the Customer Service Desk was great and since the safe was a priority the Customer Service rep advised that we should go back to the stateroom and wait so we did – As we were coming down the hall we noticed our room steward and another steward from down the hall were trying to interpret my wifes writing, so I jokingly said – How are you two doing on that – I generally need a decoder ring to read her writing, so my wife walked through each line of the letter which was very simple 4 or 5 lines at best about towels and ice. That’s the time I noticed our Steward sweating extremely bad and standing up against the wall like he just ran 5 miles in 90* heat, I asked if he was ok and he responded “Yea Yea” I responded back with are you sure and he responded with the same “Yea Yea”. a few minutes later a tech came to the room to fix the Safe – Which he was unsuccessful at doing so we had to wait for another tech with the Jump Wire to reprogram the safe, Once he got it working for us he advised me I have to be real gentle because someone may have slammed the door and messed up the circuits. I said “What?” so I have to be Kitten Glove Handling for a safe because someone else broke it? I don’t have a warm fuzzy about that – Why can’t you just get a new one for us – His response was “Because we don’t have one”. After they left my wife said did you look at this room? This is appalling! without the whole dialog this is what the condition our state room was in - The TV bracket was broken so the TV leaned on an angle and could not swivel - The Shades were cut / torn - the Bed Sheet had a rip in it and the wall decor had a 5" tear in the middle. I said to my wife lets go back to customer service this is unacceptable. As we left the room we saw our Steward outside – He waved at us and we said “See you Later have a good evening”. We came back sometime after 6pm and see our room steward in the hall – We said Hi and entered our room, a minute or two later the steward walked into the room and introduced himself to us again, and welcoming us on board etc. etc. We responded with “Stewards Name” we just talked to you about 2 hours ago – remember? We talked about towels and ice and to our surprise he was absolutely dumbfounded, he had no recollection of speaking to us, we mentioned the letter we all read together and he still had no recollection of the conversation. That made us very uncomfortable, so after we freshened up now about 7pm we went back to customer service to communicate our concerns about the steward and an update on our room, in my opinion it seemed like our steward may have had some type of medical condition i.e. Diabetic Attack etc,.. nonetheless the customer service rep advised he will have someone look into the concern and said someone would get back to us on the room. After returning to our room for the evening (9:30pm) there was no ice as requested and the room drape – sheet and wall cover were still the same way we reported them. Day 2 Seen our Room Steward one time in the morning, then we had a visit by the Stateroom Stewards boss who came to check on the concerns he didn’t make any mention of the steward or the issues we communicated so not sure if he was steering clear or just not able to discuss, he did ask us if we wanted to switch rooms which we felt was odd, we were not upset with our room steward only concerned so after a couple of minutes of discussion we advised no we will stay where we are at. It almost felt like RCCL was trying to pacify the situation as if we were complaining about things – Which as mentioned we weren’t. In our opinion RCCL was not living up to their advertised standards, Truth is we felt like we were being treated with a little passive / aggressive service. That same afternoon we had a visit from Deck Supervisor Pir Espeno – he looked over the room as we discussed our concerns about the state room appearance. He apologized for the standard of the room and later that evening it was apparent that the items were fixed because all the furniture was never put back in place, honestly that was the only reason we knew it was fixed. The TV was tightened up on the existing bracket – rather poorly if you really want to know. After that first 48 hours of frustration – we spent our day at the Pool until of course I had to use the men’s rest room and as soon as I walked in the door I slipped and landed on my back with me head resting up on the wall, we ended up in the infirmary a couple hours later getting muscle relaxers and inflammation medication. The next day my back and neck were so tight we decided to cancel our excursion to risk any further injuries. The safety Supervisor took my report and I received checkup phone calls for the next 48 hours and then NOTHING – not a call – not a check up no nada. Like it never happened As for the rest of the week we seen our room steward maybe twice – but our bed was made and there was ice – HOWEVER toilet paper roll was never changed – it was always left on the sink so we had to fill the roll dispenser. So thats are trip for the week - Here is the rest Pool Bar Tenders - Only seen 3 or 4 People working the pool deck - Service was extremely slow - and the staff were not smiling / ambitious or outgoing Johnny Rockets: our Waitress Yaliza was absoutley fantastic and our Busboy in Windjammer Roman and one of his bosses Kenyata - and Jean` from customer service. Honestly if it wasnt for these 4 People saving half our vacation I wouldn't be writing any less then Unacceptable across the board. This four employees kept our hopes alive with RCCL - Hopefully they can fix these glitches soon. Its a shame to think we were just on this ship less then a year ago and what a HUGE change - the service - the crew - the staff - All different on this voyage. And what i mean by that is The staff were not smiling / ambitious or outgoing - terrible ...........

Farewell to the Freedom we once knew.

Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Srandaz2

DAY 1

Day 2

So thats are trip for the week - Here is the rest

The staff were not smiling / ambitious or outgoing - terrible ...........
Srandaz2’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas price drops

Our cabin had allot of issues when we boarded, TV bracket was broken, ripped drapes and bed sheets, rip in the wall. The issues were fixed within 24 hours but we feel it was something that should have never had to be addressed. As far as noise level and location, Very little to No Noise - approx 3/4 way down the hall from the Aft elevators. Not to bad of a location
  Freedom of the Seas Deck Plans