3. American Queen
For $700 a night per person, we expected decent food and service. Neither was provided. Prior to booking, we confirmed that they could handle a gluten free menu since my husband has celiac disease. They assured us they could. The menu did have allergen symbols on it, but the Maitre D admitted they were often wrong. The wait staff was uninformed and unconcerned about dietary problems. If you have a problem, DON't go on this line. My husband has been sick for a week, despite vigilance. The dining room is sorely mismanaged and often frigid. The wait staff is rude, surly, and actively inattentive. They gravitated to the waiter station to chit chat. Breakfast and lunch could be either buffet or menu. If you did buffet, dirty dishes were not cleared. The buffet has one malfunctioning toaster for 400 people. One morning I ordered toast and an egg. My husband ordered gluten free toast. My order came in 23 minutes: his came in 27 minutes. And the dining room was not busy. This was the worst service in 450 days of cruising. Only Blount has worse food. Food that should have been hot usually was not. Only one soup was offered at a meal.. The same soup was served 3 times in 7 days. Bread almost came up to Wonder Bread standards. Getting coffee, tea, or wine at lunch required heroic efforts. It might finally be served by rude staff. Coffee and tea were not offered at dinner, though once again you could try. Fresh fruit at breakfast and desserts were good.

Not if you like food or want value for money spent

American Queen Cruise Review by Frequent Cruiser41

Fresh fruit at breakfast and desserts were good.
Frequent Cruiser41’s Full Rating Summary
Get American Queen price drops

The cabin was small, but that was expected. The cabin attendant was friendly. There was room under the beds for suitcases. However, the underbed area did not seem to have been cleaned recently.