3. Radiance of the Seas
We chose this cruise because it was an Alaska (if condensed) trip that fit our schedule. Overall, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Ship: The layout is decent. You never feel like you are on the 90,000+ ton ship you are on. The only thing I'd say poorly of it was the external appearance. When we got off the ship in Vancouver, it sat across from the Crown Princess. And there the Radiance sat, with rust spots every 15 feet or so along the hull while the Crown Princess across the pier was not only nearly perfectly white, but still had two deckhands already scampering about the hull and superstructure with extender paint rollers whitening once again. Dining: Eh. I've been on Carnival, Celebrity, and Norwegian before this (this was my first RCI trip). And I have to say, it would be ranked in this order: Celebrity in a distant first place followed by Norwegian, and then neck and neck for third between Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Selection was ok. Presentation, again, ok. Food itself was good, but honestly, not something I'd request seconds for. Entertainment: In my opinion, RCI is the Universal Studios of the sea. Universal knows it can't compete with Disney in certain areas, so they go all out with roller coasters and the thrills. RCI has lots to keep you busy, but is less focused on the elements that are more of what many would consider the classic cruise experience. Shows are on par with other lines. The casino was never really hopping. The live entertainment in the lounges were also on par with other lines. Service: Ugh. 1st: Half of our luggage wound up 1/2 way down the ship on the same deck because apparently the staff thought a 7 was a 3. How, I have no idea, since it was a printed tag, not hand-written. 2nd: I had a half-drunk can of soda magically appear in the mini-bar (I only noticed because we were using it as a place to store some nutrition drink for our little one and went in from time to time). I reported it and they spent 2 days trying to figure it out. Either they were trying to pull one on us, or the cleaning staff/mini-bar staff has memory issues with their own drinks while they work. I'm guessing the dishonesty though, because 3rd: One of the water bottles from the mini-bar up and disappeared the next day and they tried to charge us for it. And finally, 4th: We got a call at 11pm the night before disembarking telling us our room service was almost ready...which I suppose would make me happy except that I didn't order room service and was fast asleep. Lastly, 5th: I once walked away from a bar after attempted to order a drink for 15 minutes...it was that slow. In 7 cruises I've never done that. Ports/Excursions: Very good. Good selection. Cool adventures.

Good, but Not Great

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by The_Old_Veendam

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

Ports/Excursions: Very good. Good selection. Cool adventures.
The_Old_Veendam’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

Cabin Deck 8
We had 4 people in this balcony cabin. It was tight but manageable, especially if at least one of those 4 is a little one as with us. We were on deck 8, and so if you aren't familiar with the Radiance or her sisters, this means that the balcony deck below you isn't actually at the edge of the ship. For them, they could scale the balcony railing and walk out onto a catwalk that covers the lifeboats. For us, if I somehow fell overboard I'd land on it just 7 feet down as well. If you aren't good with heights, but you love the balcony cabin, deck 7 or 8 on this ship is a good option. So long as you pick a cabin that is far enough away from the bulbous area midships that has cabins that jut out obstructing view, you're good (keep about 8 cabins away from that, at minimum for good views).
  Radiance of the Seas Deck Plans