3. Island Princess
CRUISE This was a combination of three cruises back to back. We boarded the ship in Fort Lauderdale, cruised through the Panama Canal and on the Los Angeles, Vancouver, and finally Whittier, Alaska. It wasn’t on my bucket list, but the Panama Canal transit was amazing and the highlight of this cruise. Although, I usually don’t buy the Reflections DVD, I did this time so I can relive the transit experience again and again. PRECRUISE We flew into Fort Lauderdale a day before our cruise. We rented a small car from Thrifty at the airport and returned it to their port location after dropping off our luggage at the pier the next day. Thrifty had a free shuttle to the ship and we hopped on after turning in our vehicle. The cost of the rental was probably not much more than several taxi fares and gave us so much flexibility. With three ships in port, hotel rooms were at a premium. We ended up staying at the Residence Inn in Dania Beach. It is close to the airport, but so quiet. Actual embarkation was quick. THE SHIP Please, please, please, everyone just quit saying that the Island Princess was ruined by adding all those cabins, etc. etc. The ship is beautiful. The atrium is amazing. It has a wide promenade deck with lots of chairs. I don’t feel the ship was crowded at all. There were so many quiet places to sit and relax. I missed Skywalker’s and the International Café, but the Island Princess never had these. And the staff! The hotel and restaurant staff were stellar. OUR CABIN We were in a balcony room on the forward Dolphin deck. I’ll just say it was ready for a rehab. Tired, tired, tired. DINING We always choose anytime dining. The Island Princess has lots of tables for two, so we rarely waited. There were lots of regional (Caribbean and Alaskan) items on the menus. We ate at Sabatini’s twice. The cover charge the first time was $25, the second was $29. We also discovered Alfredo’s pizza. It is not to be missed! We also purchased a wine package; we had to ask about it. ENTERTAINMENT Well the musicians were fantastic! My husband became a Phoenix Rising fan and I was a Josh Wheeler groupie. I particularly enjoyed pianist Christopher Contillo. The ship’s band was great; they are so talented. Even the Princess Pop Choir provided an outstanding performance. Everything else was …. Since when did happy hour become the entertainment? There were so many happy hours on this ship it is surprising there was any booze left to drink. POST CRUISE We purchased Princess transfers from Whittier to Anchorage. It took more than three hours to get to the Hospitality Center with unscheduled stops at the airport and Earthquake Park. After all that we had time for lunch and the trip to the airport and no sightseeing. WHY DOESN’T PRINCESS? While there are thousands of captive passengers waiting to leave the ship, why doesn’t Princess do a better job of servicing the public restrooms?

25 Days on the Beautiful Island Princess