3. Norwegian Sun
I chose this cruise as there was no single supplement for solo travellers, if the 34-day cruise was book as a 14-day cruise and a 20-day cruise, and the itinerary was very interesting. I booked directly with an NCL agent. As soon as I was booked, her tone and attitude changed and I did not get the amenities I was promised. She told me everything I wanted to hear, but did not deliver the goods! Follow-up emails blamed "something being lost in translation," and "my misunderstanding." It was the worst booking experience I have had with 15 cruises. Other guests on board had similar experiences. I would not book directly with NCL again. I arrived in BA three days early, and stayed at the perfectly located Melia Hotel on Reconquista. I loved exploring the city and I also took an El Tigre river cruise with fellow cruise critic travellers. A pre-cruise dinner at El Federale, a short walk from my hotel, with 18 other cruise critic travellers, was excellent. Embarkation was a lengthy process, but my luggage was at my cabin door when I arrived. The ship was beginning to show its age, and was actually going into dry dock for nine days at the end of our cruise. Probably the worst part of the cruise was work which was begun by contractors on the ship before the end of our cruise, which interfered with enjoying the pool area due to the noise of grinding metal by said workers. They were also stringing cable in the ceilings of the hallways, but this did not really interfere with my enjoyment. For several days, there was a strong sewage smell in many of the aft cabins and hallways due to a leak in one of the elevator shafts. I was not personally affected by this, but I know that it ruined the cruise for a number of guests. The greatest frustration was the lack of communication from the crew. Some of the "Guest Services" agents were rude and unhelpful. Most of the female agents were not friendly. They clearly did not enjoy their jobs or assisting guests. The captain should refrain from referring to the Guest Services staff as "girls," as many of them were men. He should not have said, "they don't know anything," when guests posed questions to him about said staff dismissing their complaints regarding the stench on the ship. Excuse me....chain of command....communication, please sir! I only attended one dinner for solo travellers. I found many of the solo travellers to be very negative and complaining about everything. I preferred to dine with cruise critic friends and/or simply ask to share a table. The entertainment on board was excellent. I enjoyed the presentations about our upcoming ports of call by Peter. All of the dining venues were acceptable, with the food and service being very good. The Food and Beverage Director was outstanding - she was everywhere! There were very few children on the cruise, which was a bonus for me. I would have liked to have spent a little time in the casino, but found it very smokey. Some smokers used this area as a smoking section; they were not gambling, just sitting smoking. The place smelled of stale smoke and I felt sorry for the staff subjected to the second-hand smoke. Returning to the US, in the port of LA, was a lengthy fiasco - very disorganized with too few Customs and Immigration Officers. Why was there no Nexus Line/Global Entry/Trusted Traveller line? The ports of call were all enjoyable. I took few ship shore excursions due to the price and my preference for not travelling as a herded pack. I preferred the private tours arranged by me and fellow cruise critic travellers; all were excellent. I explored every port of call and would love to go back to all of them.

Great 34-day South American Adventure

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by LadyDi13

• Sail Date: March 2016
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Picture Window

The entertainment on board was excellent.

I enjoyed the presentations about our upcoming ports of call by Peter.

There were very few children on the cruise, which was a bonus for me.

LadyDi13’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin OC 7208
In the future, I would not select a cabin as far forward. When the seas were rough around Cape Horn, the pounding was relentless. My cabin steward left part way through the cruise - with no notice or explanation from staff. He was excellent, as was his replacement.
The hallways and common areas near the casino smell of smoke; I could smell cigarette smoke in the hallway outside my cabin.
International Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins