3. Carnival Ecstasy
We leave near Charleston, so we chose this cruise because the port is so close. The ship is a bit dated but still nice. This was our first cruise so I was a bit shocked at how tiny the rooms are. It was tight even for just the 2 of us. Boarding was a bit confusing once on the ship, but we stopped someone and they directed us where to go. Plenty to do aboard, many bars and shops. My biggest complaint was the food. I always heard cruise ship food was so good so this was a HUGE disappointment. The food looked beautiful, but was truly almost inedible. The eggs at breakfast were powdered, and we tried the buffet and the dining room and they even used powdered eggs for the omelets. I ended up eating a bagel for breakfast every morning. I'm not really that picky but this food was just awful. We had beautiful steaks for dinner and literally only ate a couple bites...they just tasted bad. It wasn't even that the food was bland...it was just bad tasting food, Im guessing just low quality? I would've been happier with canned Chef Boyardee Ravioli. We tried lots of different things and really didn't enjoy any of our food at all. I ended up eating bread mostly as it was the only thing that tasted pretty good. Even the desserts weren't very good. I'm not sure where they get the food from but man 5 days of bad food really put a damper on things. The pizza was even not very good. I had a Ruben and that is the only thing I think I had that I actually ate all of it. I will say the staff in the Lido dining room were great and we really enjoyed them singing and dancing. They really made it a special and fun experience. Also cruising to the Bahamas in February is not ideal..we booked a snorkeling excursion not realizing that the water would be absolutely freezing! We did do an ATV excursion in Freeport and that was the highlight of our cruise. Overall we had a good time. But our next cruise we are trying a different line in hopes the food will be better. This ship is an older one and the main pool is not very big. Lots of hot tubs in other areas of the ship though. The gym was decent. Treadmills,and weights, some free weights even. We also had somewhat rough seas and you could really feel it on this ship! Would not travel this particular ship again.

Bad Food!