3. Serenade of the Seas
We chose this cruise basically for the price. It was very LOW!! So low, in fact, I called my Travel Agent to find out if we had to row!. There was a delay in the ship arriving to port so our embarkation was delayed. This led to a very bad beginning because the amount of people getting on-board at lunchtime led to no seats in the Windjammer Buffet for lunch as well as problems in replacement of the food offered. We hadn't sailed with RCI for quite a while and I was getting bad vibes right from the start. Basically the ship was fine. Good staff, nice decor, stateroom average, etc. Our transit was really fine. We lucked out with wonderful weather all the way to the Azores. Now I must say that the Captain was fantastic! He alerted the ship that a weather system was approaching so he cut the shore time by a few hours so that he could leave early and get ahead of the storm. This he did, we had a little rain but no bad effects from the sea. We did have issues with the time changes. I know that all the other cruises I have taken they always change the clocks before you go to sleep. No-brainer, that's the way it's always been. NOT HERE! Would you believe that they changed the time at 12 o'clock NOON! You go into the dining room at 12 noon, sit down and BOOM! It's 1:00 PM. OK, they don't throw you out before you finish eating but, if you want to participate in an activity at one o'clock you're screwed. We are Bridge players and the game starts at 2:00PM. If we went to the MDR we had to eat in less than an hour to be able to get into the Bridge Game. If we went to the Windjammer Buffet at 11:30 AM it took away from our morning activities and again, had to look for a table, get our food and get finished quickly. Not a relaxing noon time meal experience. As for our dining experience I would give the Menu 3 stars, our Captain and Waiter 5 stars. The choices on the menu were just average, maybe a bit below. You have your standard "Always available" items, but they were below par. The menu didn't thrill us. Our waiter was from India and I asked him if they had any Indian Cuisine available and they did. The food was fantastic. We had about 4 or 5 dinners off the regular menu, Lambchops, Lobster tails, etc., but for the rest we had great dinners and service. We signed up for another TA cruise, this time from Copenhagen to Boston. I'm going to contact RCI to find out how they are going to handle the time changes going westward in which we would gain an hour, 6 times in total. So if you go into the MDR at 12 Noon to eat lunch do you have to leave for an hour because it becomes 11:00 AM?

Time Changes??

Serenade of the Seas Cruise Review by martyweed

Basically the ship was fine. Good staff, nice decor, stateroom average, etc.

martyweed’s Full Rating Summary