3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
My lifelong dream had been to sail across the Atlantic on the QE2. Sadly, it was taken out of commission before I had that opportunity, but after I retired and I decided I would treat myself to a crossing. As my nephew was to be married in England on May 4th, the May 10th sailing fitted in perfectly with my plans. Embarkation was somewhat delayed because of a computer glitch but it was very well organized. We had to really scramble to get to the life drill station, but once we set sail it was relaxation time! My husband, daughter and I shared an inside stateroom for a surprisingly low price. I think it is safe to say that in all aspects of the voyage, Cunard exceeded our expectations. We dined mostly at our assigned table in the Britannia restaurant where the food as absolutely top notch, as was the service. We also ate in the King's Court, a self-service buffet, where the food was equally wonderful though a little less fancy. We took advantage of the show offered each night - these shows are really professional quality to equal those in the West End, but are only 45 minutes long. We then had the option to continue the night with dancing in the Queen's Room (a nightclub-like environment) or listen to jazz in the Winter Gardens, for example. Not to mention the pub, the Chart Room and other entertainment areas. During the day we attended lectures, saw a planetarium show, took dance lessons- I even booked a private photography lesson. We used the library too, which is very extensive and even has books in foreign languages. Our stateroom was small but very nice and well-designed. Our steward was so helpful and kind. Service is definitely a priority on Cunard- I felt like I was the Queen myself! The sea did get rough mid-week but the ship stayed reasonably stable. It certainly did not interfere with any activities or eating! So who else was on board? I was nervous that my fellow passengers would all be upper class, but most were middle-class seniors. I would say that at least 60% were British, with Canadians, Americans and Australians making up the bulk of the remainder. There were 4 formal nights, which I thought was a bit excessive. I brought along outfits I had purchased for weddings and they were perfectly acceptable. Most ladies had similar attire, though a few wore long gowns- they were the minority. QM2 itself is enormous and I did get lost quite a few times. There was a fold-up map provided in the cabin but I didn't find it until day 6! The whole ship is immaculate, though I could see some stair carpets would soon need replacing. The shops offered mainly luxury goods beyond my price range but there is a corner shop with aspirin, toothpaste etc and a souvenir shop with things on sale. Actually, I didn't carry any money the entire week. When you embark, you register a credit card which is then linked to your room card. You simply use your room card to put it on account. We arrived in New York very early and could easily have got a flight onward to Illinois that day if we had realized. There were coaches taking people to all the major airports, as well as taxis to downtown NYC. Disembarkation was done in a very orderly fashion. This is so much better than flying! In fact, many people I spoke with said that was why they sail with Cunard- because flying is such a hassle nowadays.

Trip of a Lifetime