Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by Commadored

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: British Columbia
  • Cabin Type: Oceanview Stateroom

This was a girlfriend's cruise. We all live in or near Seattle and we're celebrating our friend's 70th birthday.

What I liked about the cruise/cruise ship:

*The public ship areas were pretty and well-maintained.

*We liked the disco dance party on the first night and watching Karaoke on the 2nd night. On the 3rd night we saw the magician--he was funny and entertaining. On the last day, we saw the ice show (well done!) and the headliner comedian/impressionist who was awesome!

*My shower was awesome. Great water pressure.

*I really liked the interactive ship screens that told you a) what was going on right then, and b) how to get where you were going.

*Our main dining room waiter and helper were awesome. Shout out to Desmond & Ashook!

*We also had a great bartender in the Viking Lounge. Sadly I didn't catch his name.

*Archee the photographer was very engaging. He made us feel special and he really captured us having a fun time!

Destinations were okay; we picked this cruise because it left out of SEATTLE and was only for four days. We did not pick it for the destinations or the excursions. That being said, the Canadians were lovely. Very warm and welcoming!

What I didn't like about the cruise/cruise ship:

**Our stateroom was at the end of a hallway (no problem there) but our room smelled like dirty linens. They were skimpy on the quantity of towels and the towel quality was reminiscent of a low end motel. The towels looked like like carwash towels; they were beat up. The drawers were dirty and needed to be wiped down or cleaned up.

**The food quality was poor. I really don't know how so much food could be so bland and tasteless. The free cookies, pastries, sandwiches, and wraps (available mid ship) were horrible. The free lemonade was so watered down it was un-drinkable.

**Main dining room food: bland, tasteless and so lacking in imagination. I felt like I was eating at an old folks home. We had better food and service on shore in town.

**We had "anytime dining". It's a misnomer. You can only dine "anytime" if there is room available.

**The crew, overall, was not very friendly. From the first waiter that took our drink order, to others we encountered, they seemed to be disinterested. We learned that they had just come from Australia on a 20+ day cruise. I think they were burnt out or something. There was no energy on the ship. A lot of the staff seemed robotic. Over all our cruise time, we only had 4 memorable crew members. That's pretty sad.

Having just sailed (March 2016) on another cruise line, I was expecting equal treatment from RCL and was sadly disappointed.

Commadored's Full Rating Summary

Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin I 3568

Pro's: Nice being at the end of the hall. Our room had a love seat which was nice. The shower worked well; great water pressure. It was great to have a refrigerator.

Con's: room had a "filthy laundry" smell. Beds were very hard. Towels were skimpy and looked well worn. Also, would prefer a few extra towels. Drawers were dirty and needed to be wiped down. The drawer with the hairdryer had a liner but the liner was disgusting looking. No sign saying the water cost money but found out that the water costs money!

Seattle

Did our own thing walking around town and lunch at an Irish tavern

Victoria

Did our own thing. Don't miss the deep fried Nanaimo bars!

Commadored