3. Emerald Princess
We picked this cruise to get a break and some spring sunshine. After 400 plus previous nights with Princess including several cruises on Emerald, and other cruises on Royal Caribbean, Ocean Village, Cunard, Discovery, Nobel Caledonia, and so forth, this was a bitter disappointment. Some aspects were very good - embarkation, our cabin (a minisuite) and our excellent cabin steward, friendly staff, disembarkation. Many other aspects were not good. Food - wonderful food to remember is one of the big features in Princess' advertising. Three examples to give the general flavour. On night two I picked chicken from the menu. It was as tough as old leather. I asked for salmon as a replacement - arrived with the outside barely cooked and the inside almost raw. Night four, we ate up in Horizon Court and I picked what looked to be nice beef stew. Now, I cook beef stew to be tender enough to cut with a fork. This, I couldn't even cut with a knife. Night seven, as my main course I picked the 'famous chef special' chicken and leek pie which arrived on its own, no vegetables, no nothing. On removing the top I found the innards to be half air, no leek at all, and the chicken bits were tough and grissly. By this time another chap at our table was rejecting the unsatisfactory replacement for an unsatisfactory replacement for an unsatisfactory first choice, so I gave up. My basic impression is of an inability to cook basic meat, fish, poultry properly and consistently together with poor supervision of food leaving the galleys. We complained verbally and in writing. By reply, we received a printed 'sorry' card together with six chocolate coated strawberries. All very nice, except the six strawberries were instead of and not in addition to the canapes we had ordered. There was a plus point. We didn't gain weight. Entertainment - general standard far below what we are accustomed to on Princess ships. Only two production shows for this 11 night cruise. The length has been cut from the hour plus of a few years ago to only 35 minutes. The standard of solo entertainers was variable - some good, some poor. Many daytime entertainments seemed geared more to making on-board sales than to entertain. Much was made of the ship running a 'The Voice' competition - which, basically, is getting the passengers to entertain themselves. Lotus spa - grossly overpriced Staff training - many, many times I formed the impression of staff trained to 'deliver an item' in one particular way irrespective of what the customer wants Drinks -weak and expensive. Another matter. For our previous cruise, Princess deducted the final payment from my bank account twice, making me unexpectedly overdrawn. Luckily I noticed just before a couple of direct debits were about to bounce. My bank was very nice about it and Princess said they would give (me and my wife) a meal at a speciality restaurant on my next cruise in recompense. Guess what? Yes, a meal for one.. Front desk.... Oh dear. Some staff's English was too basic for their task Other passengers' impressions. For me, the 'killer' was several experienced cruisers each who was on a Princess ship for the first time all telling me they will never cruise with Princess again. They were comparing with Thomson, Royal Caribbean, P&O, Silver Seas. My big question ......We hadn't cruised with Princess for over a year. Is our poor experience typical of current Princess, or is it unique to this particular freshly refurbished ship at this particular time? I don't have an answer. .

Disappointment Princess

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by corieltauvi

• Sail Date: April 2016
  • Destination: Europe

Many other aspects were not good.

There was a plus point. We didn't gain weight.

Lotus spa - grossly overpriced

Drinks -weak and expensive.

Front desk.... Oh dear. Some staff's English was too basic for their task