3. Celebrity Eclipse
Ship was great. Food was great. On-ship service was great - I would give them 6 stars, while I give the phone service 4 stars, so it balances out to 5. Favorite on-ship things included: Pool Volleyball (could have been more of it!), the endless buffets, and did I mention the amazing staff. Only complaints I can thing of on-board was the prohibitive cost of doing laundry & at we could have had more drawer space - and this is from someone who together with my husband brought TWO CARRY-ONS for a 2-week trip. (I only used 2/3 of what I brought, would've brought even less if laundry cost was reasonable). The cabinets over the bed were hard to use. And the jogging track needed to be wider. But we chose this cruise for the ports. Liked them all except Antigua. Our favorite port was St. Lucia. We arranged for a custom tour thru Paradise Excursions, and it was Amazing. http://www.stluciasguidedtours.com/#_=_ So much better than the cruise tours with set itineraries. We knew we wanted to travel by water to see the Pitons, to miss the most winding roads that 2 of our travel-mates are sensitive to. But what fun we had after that, making up the rest of our day as we pleased! Curacao was also great - check out the Dolphin Academy at the Aquarium. They seem to treat their dolphins much better than other places, including letting them out into true OPEN WATER on occasion, and letting them choose to come back. :) We did another independent booking to swim w/ the dolphins there. It's an easy taxi ride from the port. We enjoyed the rest of that day at the most beautiful beach just outside the aquarium.

Wonderful winter get-away! St.Lucia was the best!

Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by runswithdogs

But we chose this cruise for the ports. Liked them all except Antigua.

runswithdogs’s Full Rating Summary
Get Celebrity Eclipse price drops

• Antigua
    Too many vendors, too crowded at the beach we went to near the port.
    View All 1,585 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Snorkeling
    I had really hoped to snorkel at the big Antilla shipwreck but waters were too rough. I wonder how often that part of the trip has to be cancelled.
    View All 167 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Aquarium
    Do the dolphin swim! They treat the dolphins much better than other similar operations, even letting them out into true OPEN WATER on occasion, and letting them have the choice to come back! We enjoyed the rest of the day at a spectacular beach just outside!
  • St. Kitts (Port Zante)
    Get the Lobster and a spiced Pina Colada at Shiggidy Shack. And don't miss Timothy Hill!
    View All 1,741 St. Kitts (Port Zante) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Kitts (Port Zante) Cruise Port Review
  • Island Tour
    I had expected this to be my favorite island, and I expected an AMAZING tour, but it vastly exceeded my already-high expectations. I don't even know if I have the right words to give the review he deserves, but here goes.

I initially contacted John because from other TA reviews, he seemed to be an excellent host, specializing in custom tours which can cater to the wishes of small groups.

I told him that my group wished to take the speedboat from our Cruise Port in Castries to Soufriere to skip the long drive on winding roads, and that we thought we wanted to do the Tet Paul Hike. He responded right away, very helpful and friendly, saying he would be glad to help us. He was also helpful with some additional questions and final arrangements as the trip got closer. I could already tell the past TA reviews were true, that John was the ultimate host; honest, polite, warm & proud of his beautiful homeland.

The day our ship arrived on St. Lucia, we met John in the cruise terminal, and he took us to the speedboat waiting just a few yards away. The morning boat ride was beautiful, with the sun coming up on the opposite site of the island. Soon the Pitons loomed in the distance.

We docked in Soufriere, and John drove us in a van up to the Tet Paul Trail. It's basically a half-mile walk w/ some incline, on a RIDGE overlooking the Pitons. ABSOLUTELY the most beautiful place I have ever seen. And what a great story: we found out John actually FOUNDED the trail, and the Community Co-op which takes care of it also farms the surrounding land.

Since this was a custom (non-cruise) tour, we got to decide what to do next! John explained some of the options. We decided to check out a nearby waterfall, and even had the opportunity to swim under it!

Then we had lunch, overlooking the waterfront in Soufriere incl. a glimpse of the Pitons. Lunch was fish or chicken with an amazing sampling of local accompaniments (finally got to try breadfruit!) and fresh juice.

After lunch, we walked around Soufriere briefly, then re-boarded the boat to spend time at a very nice nearby beach. John had packed some beverages for us including rum punch and local beer. The boat crew also had snorkelling equipment for us to use! The snorkelling was actually amazing, so this was an excellent surprise.

As the boat took us the rest of the way back, we saw some other interesting things like the bat cave, some natural arches, and Marigot Bay.

For me, the day flew by. John never gave us time limits at the stops, and never rushed us. I never personally worried about time; actually didn't realize it was passing as it was. But John had asked early in the day, what time we needed to get back onto the ship. And he was keeping track while we just enjoyed ourselves.

We really felt well taken care of during the entire tour. John really thought of everything, and his assistants were extremely friendly & professional too. John is somewhat of a celebrity for founding the trail; you would never know it by his demeanor, he is so humble. Yet he has all of the local knowledge and resources to create a very personalized tour.

View All 267 Island Tour Reviews
  • St. Maarten
    We went to Maho beach, were the first ones there and enjoyed it while it was quiet; had fun watching the planes and more & more people show up. The later more crowded time was fun too. We also saw the Yoda Guy Museum in Phillipsburg. Great for any Star Wars fans!
    View All 4,811 St. Maarten Cruise Port Reviews