3. Disney Fantasy
My friend (another single mother) talked me into booking this Disney cruise as she had been on two previous Disney cruises. I will say that the customer service on the ship was outstanding! We had a late flight into Orlando and arrived at the port about 3:00 and it took maybe 15 minutes for check in and we were on the ship! No lines, no waiting! Our first cabin was 6080, a verandah that sleeps four. It was a little tight with two adults and a 10 and 12 year old, but since we weren't planning of spending much time in the room anyway, it didn't really matter. The Disney Fantasy is a beautiful ship with lots of places to go for "alone" time if you really need it! We were assigned to the late seating for dinner, which turned out to be a problem when both boys fell asleep during dinner! When we requested a change to the earlier seating, we were accommodated without hesitation. The dining rooms were all wonderful, and our wait staff could not have been better. The food at each meal was superb and when the boys had special requests (like ordering part of their dinner from the kids menu and part from the adult menu) the staff were wonderful. The second day we had a foul odor coming from the toilet room and called guest services to try to rectify the problem. They sent someone immediately to check it out and fix it. There was a temporary reprieve from the odor, but the next day it was back again. Again they came to fix it, but when it was clear that it could not be handled, they moved us to a different room (8088). This room was also a verandah room, but it had a Murphy bed in it and could sleep 5 people. The room seemed much larger, and we were very happy with the change. Guest services also sent little presents (chocolate covered strawberries) to our room to apologize for the inconvenience of having to move. The entertainment was wonderful, Broadway style shows that we really enjoyed. There were also movies playing around the clock so that if you were tired of the pool and sun, you could see a first run movie in the theater. I can't really comment about the kids clubs as my son registered for Edge (the tweens club) but only stopped in once or twice, opting instead to spend his time on the top deck playing basketball with the other kids that he met. The pools were too crowded for my tastes, and it was very difficult to get a chair in the sun without getting up at dawn and placing towels and other objects to hold the chair, but there were plenty of chairs on the upper decks that were away from the pool and great for lounging. The buffets and quick service windows on the pool deck were great for grabbing breakfast and lunch each day. We never had a problem grabbing a table for the four of us during any meal. Our only Disney port excursion was in Tortola where we did the Island Tour and Beach Break. You are loaded into safari taxis and taken on the most frightening ride that I have ever been on!! At times it felt as if we were about to go over the side of the mountain, other times we felt as though there was no way the taxi would be able to make it up the steep inclines and hairpin turns. I have been on many island tours, but this one scared me more than I can ever remember! When we arrived at the beach, there were three or four non tourist men, sitting at a table smoking the biggest joints I have ever seen. Apparently it is not a problem in Tortola, and was a source of amusement to my 12 year old. The beach was beautiful, there was a snack bar and small toilets near by. You paid extra for a beach chair and umbrella, but it was worth it. The next day we docked in St. Thomas, where we struck out on our own. We grabbed a cab to the Red Hook ferry ($10 pp), bought round trip tickets to St. John ($14 pp), then grabbed another cab to Trunk Bay ($6 pp). There was a $5 per person entry fee to the park and then once you got there you could rent chairs or snorkeling equipment relatively inexpensively (however you had to put down a hefty security deposit ($50) which was returned to you when you returned the equipment. There is a snorkeling trail that you can follow, with signs describing the coral, etc. The surf was a little rough the day we were there, so visibility was not the greatest, but my son enjoyed seeing a lobster and star fish, in addition to a few other fish that he couldn't identify. There is a small snack bar with drinks at the beach as well as some very aggressive sea gulls. But the food was good and the drinks were even better. The last day of the cruise we were at Castaway Cay which was our favorite stop of all. The water was clear and calm and just perfect. I was a little anxious about having to walk such a long way from the ship to the tram (a very long distance), but we went to guest services and explained that I had severe asthma and one of the children also had a problem and they lent us wheelchairs for use on the island. My son again spent the day snorkeling, lying on a float and riding a water tricycle (all of which cost extra) and had a great time. I don't think I came out of the water except to eat at the barbecue buffet. Overall this was a great trip, but, having cruised on other ships, I'm not sure that it was really worth the price difference. If you have young children who love seeing Disney characters, then this is the cruise for you! There are always opportunities to see the princesses, Mickey, Donald, and all of the rest of the group, but at 12 years old, my son was just not that interested in meeting them.

Fun Trip; Great Customer Service!

Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by cruisemedic649

• Sail Date: April 2016
  • Destination: Eastern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah

cruisemedic649’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 10 to 12
Get Disney Fantasy price drops

• Snorkeling
    We grabbed a cab from the port in St. Thomas to the Red Hook ferry ($10 pp), we then bought round trip tickets to St. John ($14 pp), and took the ferry to Cruz Bay. In Cruz Bay we caught another cab to Trunk Bay ($6 pp). When we arrived at the park it cost $5 pp to get in. You can rent snorkeling equipment and beach chairs at a small shop relatively inexpensively (but with a hefty security deposit of $50). There is also a small snack bar which serves alcohol as well as food. The beach was beautiful and not crowded at all considering that there were multiple ships in port that day. The water was a little rough, so visibility wasn't the greatest for snorkeling, but if you got out past where the waves were breaking it was a little clearer. My son saw many fish, as well as a lobster and a star fish. The only downside to the entire trip was that when we had lunch, the seagulls were a little aggressive and frightened one of our kids, otherwise this was a great trip! We were able to stay longer at the park, than if we had done one of the excursions from the ship, so it was nice to be in control of our own time on the beach.
    View All 7 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Island Tour and Beach Break
    This tour was one of the scariest that I have ever been on!! You are loaded into safari type taxis and then taken up the mountain. At times is felt as if we were about to go over the edge of the cliff and at other times it felt as if we wouldn't even make it up the mountain, with the engine straining to carry the weight of us up the steep inclines. The hairpin turns and then going downhill as the driver downshifted were really frightening. We stopped several times for pictures, but given that we were stopped in the middle of a road with no shoulder, I opted not to get out of the taxi, and instead took pictures from my seat. When we got to the beach, we were greeted by 3 or 4 men sitting at a picnic table smoking the biggest joints I've ever seen. Apparently this is not a problem in Tortola, and was a great source of amusement to my 12 year old son! The beach was beautiful and the water was warm! You could rent chairs and an umbrella for about $5. There was a small snack bar with great drinks close by, as well as very small bathroom. We only spent about 90 minutes at the beach, then it was back to the scary ride back to the ship.
    View All 13,774 Island Tour and Beach Break Reviews