Marella Dream Cruise Review

Not a Dream!

Marella Dream Cruise Review by Jodi31

• Sail Date: Apr 2016
  • Destination: the Eastern Mediterranean

Having been on a number of Thomsons cruise in the past (with no problems) we decided to try the Enchanting Vistas repositioning cruise on the Dream. Wish we hadn't bothered now. The only good thing about that ship was disembarkation!

The food was sub-standard, often cold (custard mainly). Lobster on the Captain's night was so tough and overcooked that it was impossible to cut! Bread was sweet, toast was pre-cooked the night before for breakfast the following morning (we saw and asked), desserts, ok so a cupcake is nice but....... The ship lost a third of it's staff in Palma before setting off and was full of trainees who didn't have a clue. You could die of thirst waiting for waiters in the lounges! Reception staff were either trainees or didn't wear name badges.

Tour to Sorrento and Pompeii was a farce, under an hour in Sorrento??? issues with guide in Taormina! Now I got a refund on 1 tour which left my onboard account at a minus figure and was given cash back but I have appending amount of £15 in my bank account, so watching that. Family had £1 to pay, had £14 pending but have had £22 taken out so all going on a complaint to Thomsons. This ship has rotting windows, rust and is shabby. Needs a total refit to be any good, ship and staff! Book any other ship but this.

Credit however does go to Carlos in the main Restaurant, his professionalism and witty charm made our evening meals a pleasure (even if the food lacked quality). His trainee Luis was also very very good and saw a big improvement during the week, again credit to Carlos who works extremely hard (as do all wait staff) to make sure your evening meal goes smoothly. This cruise should never have been allowed to sail, the staff were simply not prepared/trained to deal with a full ship of passengers. Disgusted at Thomson right now and will not be considering another cruise with them for a very long time, if ever!

Jodi31's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Single 5215

Cabin 5215, don't even accept it, the cabin is a single and nice enough, spacious but the noises. You expect some noise from the ship's engine (I know having had a few single cabins) but I reported a different noise at 1am, someone came, said it's engine noise (sure engine noise comes from above your head and sounds like a gushing tap with a massive thudding sound, definitely NOT engine noise). I had to chase it up at 7am, 8am and 10am with reception (3 trainees and 1 without any name badge said it was logged as ship noise and I should have phoned them back after I was told they would phone me. As I pointed out, I am the guest and it's not my job to spend my holiday chasing around after them. I paid a single supplement and got the worst cabin on any ship I have sailed on. Luiz my cabin steward was faultless and worked very very hard day and night so could not fault him in any way. In fact the cabin stewards were the only really friendly staff onboard, saying hello without fail.

Jodi31