3. Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem- A very lovely ship! Very well taken care of. The carefree color scheme throughout the ship was very bright and happy with a retro late 60s feel. A lot of crushed velvet in the lounges, teal, blue, orange and hot pink were the main color scheme. The carpets were very entertaining! I actually took pictures of them, from the color scheme to the prints. Embarkation- We arrived at port about 12:30 and had very little problem getting on the ship. I would say it took only about a half hour to board. The port parking was very easy, right beside the ship. Stateroom- Beautiful! Very spacious. It was a room designated for handicapped so the bathroom was huge. I think the overall footage was 180 something square feet which is huge compared to some of the cabins we were in. The attendant decorated our room and had a cake ready for DH like I had requested for his birthday, very nice. TV- Awe come on NCL! Thank goodness for TNT or there would have been nothing but two news channels. $12.95 to rent an in room movie? I don't think so! Service- Our stateroom attendants were pretty good. They kept the room clean, mints every night, only two towel animals though. Once they forgot wash cloths but no big deal. The only complaint I have is most days they never made up the room till mid afternoon and didn't turn it down till late, sometimes after 8:30. We always went to early dinner so were out of the room from 5:30 on. Activities- Pretty lame. We don't do bingo the pool water was freezing (although the Captain said it could be heated if necessary) and all the chairs were always hogged anyway. So we could have done a behind the scenes tour for fifty bucks! yeah right. For what you pay for a cruise this could have been free. Entertainment- Just OK. The magic guy was good, did not care for the Chocolate Diva and the Singers and Dancers were good but nothing exceptional. Royal Caribbean Shows are much better. Dining-The food was very average. We actually preferred the Blue Lagoon snack area although the service was incredibly slow. The buffet was again average, although I did like the ice cream. Coffee was quite horrible most of the time. The main dining room service wasn't great. The server forgot our soup one night. The Magenta was better for service. My take on this is since their tip is automatic they don't really care. That is what the attitude seemed. Stirrup Cay- What! Can they not afford to purchase more lounge chairs? This was ridiculous! When we've sailed with R/C their people follow you around the island carrying your lounge chair for you. Norwegian didn't have nearly enough chairs. We had to go to a back corner and dig some crappy little chair (not even a lounge) out of a pile to have a seat. The beach was great though, very beautiful. Nassau- Nice but dirty. Not what I expected. The city seems poor, the streets are bad and trash all over. The Queens Staircase was neat though and the Arawak Fish Fry was very good and unique. We took a moped up to cable beach and over to Atlantis. These areas were beautiful and we wished we would have had the moped for longer time to circle the island. More on the mopeds in my port review! Freeport- Ummm couldn't they have fueled the ship in Nassau? This was nothing but a fuel stop, very disappointing! Too short to do anything or go anywhere. My summary- This was an OK cruise.If it had been my first, I probably wouldn't do a second. If I had the opportunity again I wouldn't take it. This was our second Freestyle cruise and although I like the free dining time I think freestyle may mean "free to take care of you when we get around to it". Most everything was done slowly on this ship, whenever they got motivated. Our room attendant being the exception, he and she were very attentive when we needed something.

Norwegian Gem to Florida and Bahamas

misskittykat’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Obstructed Oceanview
Cabin OK 8600
Large room. Large bathroom. An obstructed ocean view but the boat outside is below the window so you can see straight out fine, just not down. Great location. Just down the hall from the blue lagoon restaurant. Fairly quiet. One loud party had the habit of coming to their room very loudly at 3am every night but that was about all the noise.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Freeport
    Very disappointing. Nothing more than a refueling stop. At least on our trip. There wasn't enough time to do anything. We arrived at 8 am and had to reboard the ship at 11.30.
    View All 1,348 Freeport Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Freeport Cruise Port Review
  • Nassau
    DONT RENT THE MOPEDS! Nassau was OK but not great. My word of warning here is DONT RENT THE MOPEDS from the first dealer out of the Festival Place. Following is our experience: DH had an excursion in the morning and we weren't able to get to the mopeds till 1:30 PM. They tell you it is 50.00 a day. We got there at 1:30 so they reduced the price to 40.00. Wow! Then they charge you 10.00 for gas 10.00 for insurance and an extra 20.00 for ? So we forked over 80.00 for 3 hours. The mopeds are in very poor condition very beat up and no footpegs for the rear rider, although the one sitting out for advertisement is new. After showing us how to ride it (my husband owns a large motorcycle). We took off only to notice a few blocks down the road that they didn't put fuel in it like they were supposed to. So we bucked traffic back for refuel and took off again. Now well after 2:00. We went to Atlantis and DH put our valuables in the seat and attempted to lock the seat and the key which was bent broke off. So we called the moped co. and they brought us another one this one with a ripped seat and no foot pegs. We explained to the man we tried to lock the seat and he said we would have to pay for a new key.We rode the moped till 4;45 and took it back. The lady who runs the company then tells us we owe $45.00 for a new switch as there is no other key for this moped. NO duplicate key? Come on! (The key we had was a bent duplicate) We asked him why he wouldn't have a duplicate key and he said he just didn't, we should have asked him before we rented the moped and he would have rented us a different moped. So we were not to lock our valuables up and we were supposed to make sure the moped we rented had a spare key before we rented it! WHAT? When we complained the key was bent when we received it he said "Too bad. You should have asked for another moped if you weren't happy with the key" After much arguing and even speaking to the police they told us we had to pay the fee for a new switch. Since this wasn't covered in the insurance. So our 40.00 moped became a $105.00 moped. We are severely disappointed in the business practices of the people of Nassau!
    View All 5,950 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Nassau Cruise Port Review
  • Port Canaveral (Orlando)
    This was a nice port. If it had been warmer a day at the beach would have been good. We just went to a Mall and into CoCo Beach shopping.
    View All 2,176 Port Canaveral (Orlando) Cruise Port Reviews