3. Koningsdam
Boarded in Rome and went right to the cabin to unpack- ( see Cabin Review). Note avoid connecting cabins. This was literally the only thing that really that wasn't great about this trip. You can hear pretty much everything that goes on in the other cabin if you get one with a connecting door. HAL has to figure out how to fix this. Otherwise we loved the cabin. Steward seemed rushed and I noticed he had a huge section. We only saw him 3 times in 12 days. TV was filled with Movies and TV shows on demand - all free - Nice! The Marketplace was their Lido deck dining option and it did not disappoint. Was impressed that the staff served you as opposed to letting guests serve themselves. I have to believe this cuts down on illness and waster. We had "anytime dining and tried most all the alternative restaurants. Tamarind was off the charts good and the servers were so polished considering the ship had been in service 2 and a half weeks when we boarded. Sel De Mer was pretty good, a bit expensive as everything is a la cart. We racked up a $90 bill for just food for the two of us. Pinnacle was good as well. Lovely restaurant. The only one we did not care for was Canaletto. You feel like you are eating in the Marketplace. They need to add walls to that area so it's a bit more secluded. Also, everytime the door to the dishwashing station opened, hot humid air blew into the restaurant. Meanwhile people in swimsuits and flip flops were walking by. Food and especially the service was amazing, just not the venue. The main dining room was amazing and while we ate at a different table everytime we ate there, we had great servers and I thought for the MDR the food was FANTASTIC. You can tell that food is a focal point on this ship. Bar staff were fantastic ( Hi Rose and Bald one and two). Mixed drinks in the $6.50 to $7.50 range . Loved that HAL has Happy Hours where you buy one drink and get another for $1.00 - That was nice. the crows nest on this ship is just gorgeous and I love how they've turned one side into a smallish Starbucks kind of cafe. Very cool! Loved BB Kings review band. My goodness were they fun! The crowd on our cruise was a bit older and I heard a lot of people saying they were loud but we loved them! Such Talent!! The shows overall were pretty good with the Chart toppers show at the end of the cruise being by far the best. the three principal singers were amazing. LET THEM DO CABARET, we'd love to see them utilized more. dueling Pianos is awesome - they knew so many songs! Front desk helped us twice and were just lovely. This was my first HAL cruise and I WILL BE BACK! Mainly because of the crew. Now just a couple of suggestions for HAL: Play the ships announcements on a channel on the TV- Opening the door and leaning out in the hall everytime the cruise director came on the PA got a little old. Lower the cost of blend. It's just too expensive for what you get. Stop pushing staff to get people to sign up for revenue producing experiences. I don't need a lecture on why we should go on the Bar crawl or do a blend experience, everytime I order a drink from a server. It makes both crew and guests uncomfortable. What happened to Bingo? Was offered once on the cruise. Photos: $19.95 for a pic now- Dear God - how did it get so high. Noticed it was not a popular place on the ship. Internet 250 minutes for $100.00 WOW. However I will say it was pretty fast unless you were sending a picture. those are all minor to the enjoyment we had overall on the cruise. Just a great experience.

Holland America renews its brand with Koningsdam.

Koningsdam Cruise Review by jwsfun

jwsfun’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin V 5185
Gorgeous blond wood paneling greets you the moment you walk in. We were shocked at all the nooks and crannies to store our stuff. Loved the USB outlets on either side of the bed. Plenty of plugs everywhere. The bathroom is a work of art with a shower that can accommodate two ( didn't try but let's just say it's big for a ship) Balcony was nice but it was cool on our sailing so we didn't sit out there all that much. One note- AVOID CONNECTING CABINS we had one and the only real disappointment we had on this trip was the fact that you can hear EVERYTHING going in in the cabin next door if indeed you are in an adjoining cabin. ( and I mean EVERYTHING). Great pillows and linens. Loved it.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins