3. Zuiderdam
Although we are much younger than the average person on the ship, we did enjoy it. The ship itself needs to be upgraded i.e. TVs, stateroom furniture, WiFi, Unfortunately, some of the needed work of chipping rust on deck happened during our 17 day cruise; which was loud and annoying. Music was changed after a couple of days from up to date music (rap) to 40's, 50's and 60's music which was more appropriate for the age group on board. Entertainment was pretty good but loud singing. They can tone it down. Our reservations in the Pinnacle restaurant were completely botched up but HAL made up for it with a free meal there. The Pinnacle Grill was excellent. All the food on board was great (except for the shrimp and eggs). Cruise Director was excellent (Christina). Shore excursions are too crowded and I would not book another one again. If you can get a taxi at the worst or if you have time get a personal tour and hook up with other people on your cruise with Cruise Critic. Ports were great: Azores (Horta, Ponta del Delgada), A Coruna, Cherbourg, Zeebrugge, Rotterdam, Copenhagen. The captain was very informative and I give him an A+. The crew in the Lido needs more training. Officers walking through the deck do not make eye contact and don't recognize anyone around. (I think that is awful). I have sailed HAL many times and this is the only time I have seen this behavior (or lack of).

HAL Transatlantic; Mixed Reviews

Zuiderdam Cruise Review by Golfeline

• Sail Date: April 2016
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Entertainment was pretty good but loud singing. They can tone it down.

Cruise Director was excellent (Christina).

Golfeline’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Zuiderdam price drops

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VC 5031
Cabin was average. The chair has seen better days. Bed was comfy with lots of blankets and pillows. Crew was great. the towel animals were superior! Deck 5 forward; starboard.
Veranda was great and the deck furniture was great.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins