Zuiderdam Cruise Review

Zuiderdam Cruise Review by Golfeline

• Sail Date: Apr 2016
  • Destination: Transatlantic
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

Although we are much younger than the average person on the ship, we did enjoy it. The ship itself needs to be upgraded i.e. TVs, stateroom furniture, WiFi,

Unfortunately, some of the needed work of chipping rust on deck happened during our 17 day cruise; which was loud and annoying. Music was changed after a couple of days from up to date music (rap) to 40's, 50's and 60's music which was more appropriate for the age group on board.

Entertainment was pretty good but loud singing. They can tone it down.

Our reservations in the Pinnacle restaurant were completely botched up but HAL made up for it with a free meal there. The Pinnacle Grill was excellent. All the food on board was great (except for the shrimp and eggs).

Cruise Director was excellent (Christina).

Shore excursions are too crowded and I would not book another one again. If you can get a taxi at the worst or if you have time get a personal tour and hook up with other people on your cruise with Cruise Critic.

Ports were great: Azores (Horta, Ponta del Delgada), A Coruna, Cherbourg, Zeebrugge, Rotterdam, Copenhagen. The captain was very informative and I give him an A+. The crew in the Lido needs more training. Officers walking through the deck do not make eye contact and don't recognize anyone around. (I think that is awful). I have sailed HAL many times and this is the only time I have seen this behavior (or lack of).

Golfeline's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VC 5031

Cabin was average. The chair has seen better days. Bed was comfy with lots of blankets and pillows. Crew was great. the towel animals were superior! Deck 5 forward; starboard. Veranda was great and the deck furniture was great.

Ponta Delgada

Nice port and the whole city squares and main street has free WiFi. After being on board a ship for 9 days, it was welcomed. The church is great. For some reason, I did not fee comfortable though. We spent only 2 hours on shore.

La Coruna

We had a tour to Santiago de Compestella and toured the St James city. Wonderful Spanish city and glad we were able to see it.

Canal Boat Tour

See my remarks above.

View All 39 Canal Boat Tour Reviews
City Tour

Too many people on tour. One earpiece and with the accent of the guide, I couldn't hear a lot. we spent too much time walking around and then taking the boat tour (which was the same places we walked to). Redundant. I would not take another cruise ship tour. I wanted to Moooo (like cattle) with every movement.

View All 32 City Tour Reviews
Keukenhof Tulip Festival

Except for 60 people on board the bus, we went our own way at the Keukenhof gardens. We had an hour and a half. It was spectacular. So many beautiful flowers. No only tulips but orchids, Anthurims, Christmas flowering plants, etc. Very crowded to say the least. It was hard getting a picture without 20 people in it.

View All 19 Keukenhof Tulip Festival Reviews