3. Adventure of the Seas
We left mid-April on our southern Caribbean cruise. There were 6 of us in 3 cabins (4 in inside cabins, 1 in an ocean view and 1 in a balcony stateroom). Inbound flights (5 different departure cities) were uneventful and on-time. It seems that the terminals have changed within the last year. I believe Southwest, Delta, and American all came in to and departed from terminal B. The baggage carousel was a bit of a problem. No one was sure which carousel would get the luggage from what flight(s). Try to find an airport representative to provide the most up-to-date information. I forgot to ask my travel agent to purchase airport transfers ahead of time. The RCCL representative made a call to check on this detail. The exit to the taxi stand was backed up (clogged) with all sorts of travelers needing transportation to one place or another. A gentleman approached me and said I was selected to get to a ‘short line’ for a taxi. I was actually O.K. with this. It seems that the one line to get a taxi is so backed up that some of the drivers get out of their vehicles way back in their line and walk up to the airport exit to get customers outside of the line or cue. This allows taxi drivers the chance to get more business, whether or not the rules are strictly followed. For 3 of us, with our luggage, the cost one way to the ship was $28.00 Check in, with my set-sail pass, was quick. I decided to walk my luggage on board so that I could unpack immediately. I was unpacked before the life boat drill at 5:45 pm. My room was adequate, but a little dated. The curtains should be replaced, however. They are somewhat frayed. The room safe is just above the flat screen TV, and not in the closet which is where I usually find it. This safe is also somewhat worn and has buttons which are gummy to push. The labels on the buttons are pretty much worn off. The shower has the sliding tube and not the dreaded shower curtain. As for my balcony (E3), I had an end room on the fantail (room 9690). The end rooms have a very nice balcony which is pretty much not obstructed and larger than the usual port or starboard balconies. Any of the other aft balcony rooms are obstructed because of the super structure off the back of the ship. Other than aesthetics from a distance, I don’t understand why the back end was designed this way. But all Voyager class ships have this limitation. So, give this consideration when booking a fan tail cabin. On my first sailing on the same ship (several years ago), I booked an atrium view cabin. This is also a design problem. Although you can oversee the atrium when the curtains are opened, people on the opposite side of the atrium can look into your room as you can see into theirs. Also, when they have entertainment at night, the sound comes right through the glass wall. I would recommend staying away from these rooms all together. Nice idea, but not practical. As for my room steward, I never saw him until day 3. That was the one and only time I saw him during the entire week. Sometimes, I think it would be nice just to check in with this person. But, luckily he was not needed for anything out of the ordinary. I found service in the MDR to be a little slow. We actually saw the assistant maître d’ on multiple evenings. One night I ordered chicken cordon blue. I have had better frozen versions at home. It was clearly frozen and hard cheese and one slice of ham in the very center. I told our waiter that this is one dish that should be removed from the menu all together. Also, the crème Brule was made with bananas. This is another dish that should be revised or removed from the menu. Generally speaking, the food was good, but not great. PS, people went into the MDR on both formal nights in smart casual clothing. Suits no longer seem required wear for men. On the other hand, I went to Giovanni’s Table on both formal nights. This is an optional dinner choice for a $30.00 fee. I went twice – on both formal nights. The meals were excellent. The Wind Jammer café (buffet meals) was pretty well organized with good breakfasts and lunches. However, another dish I would not recommend is the pizza. Other cruise lines do pizza much better than on this ship. The pool area was nice on port days. However, on the one day – last day - at sea, claim your space early. The forward adult’s only pool was crowded to the point of being an unpleasant space. The main pool featured ‘games’ after noon. Unless, you enjoy crowded spaces with games like the largest belly flop contest, avoid this outdoor space all together. The atrium after dinner features all of the shops putting items for sale in the center of the ship. That, along with bands playing and people dancing in the atrium, makes this the perfect place for people with ADHD. I opted for going out on deck, or back to my room to avoid this congestion. Also, one day was devoted to disco. 70’s videos were played by the main pool during the day and there was dancing during the evening in the atrium. This event created a wall to wall group of people. (Bring your 70’s clothing for this event). Another night was devoted to wearing ‘white’. Speaking a little more about the atrium, there are suspended art pieces of the solar system hung 12 stories in the air. From the elevators, you are able to see the dust caked on to these large globes. I avoided seeing any of the shows and had not heard whether I had missed anything worthwhile. I went to the gym each morning for my treadmill workout. This was the first time I ever spent time on a treadmill. No staff member was available to help guests new to the ‘equipment’. I had a friend show me what I needed to do. Over the week, I discovered that two treadmills were inoperative. I was not able to report this to any available nearby staff. Also, then there is the Internet Café. There was no staff member available to ask for instructions to ‘get started’. Disembarkation went relatively smooth. Bag tags and disembarkation times were not provided until the evening prior to departure. My bag tag was at the last available departure time. But, I knew that would not work because of the time of my flight. So, if you are feeling that this departure time assigned is a little late, just go to the reception desk to ask for a new, earlier disembarkation time. They would be glad to assist you. Don’t assume that the time you are given will necessarily fit with your flight time. I easily got off the ship to discover that the warehouse where the luggage is housed was mobbed. Getting a porter helps get you through the ‘line’ in half the time. I highly recommend this, whether you need one or not. Day trips: Barbados - I took the taxi to Accra beach. Nice beach which has a Tiki Bar for lunch and drinks. Cost is $15.00 USD total. You get a lounge chair and umbrella and $15.00 USD to be spent at the Tiki Bar. I highly recommend. Nice white sand beach. Dominica - I did the ship's river tubing experience. Although it was a nice day, and my 3rd time doing this excursion, things have changed since hurricane Erika. The roads to the mountain tops have been washed away. The start and end points have been changed where private roads are being used to access the river so that this excursion can be offered. Water levels were a little low and the experience was a little slower than last year and before. Lots of fun, nevertheless. St. Croix - This is a great trip to snorkeling off Buck Island. Excellent snorkeling. We even got to stop at Buck Island to swim ashore. This is the first time I have been able to get onto Buck Island's beautiful sand. St. Kitts - We did a 1/2 day taxi ride to Brimstone Fortress. It is way up on a steep hill with gorgeous views. You can see as far away as Montserrat. St. Martin - We did the Golden Eagle catamaran trip. Once again things have changed where this boat can no longer visit Isle Tintamarre. The French government have taken over this island and has made it a preserve with limited access. No more crashing waves traveling north from Phillipsburg. Instead snorkeling was in Great Bay and the sail headed west to Mullet Bay. This was a smooth ride over and back by motor. No sails were used. Mullet Bay was pretty enough. On the return, we went by Maho Bay (by the airport) while a KLM 747 was landing. That was fun. All in all this was a good trip, but thought you should know a bit about the details noted above.

Pleasant, Uneventful Trip