3. Norwegian Sun
I was originally booked to go all the way to San Francisco (34 days) on this cruise, but I got off in Los Angeles. Four men from New Orleans who had worked on the ship's life boats and tenders for three weeks helped me off the ship. Then a wonderful man who was a temp worker at the port got a wheelchair and we loaded my bags into it. He whisked me through customs. There is no global entry machine at the port, but I gave my card to the customs agent anyway. I felt really, really sorry for all the foreigners who had to go through US customs at LA. The lines were huge and there was no help. The sewage problem was severe on the ship. I was in an inside cabin by myself. The smell was awful!!! The cabin had old ratty carpet and uncomfortable mattresses on the bed. At one point I saw sewage water come up out of the shower drain. The ship is scheduled for remodeling, but not until 2018! My cabin stewardess was absolutely wonderful. We got to know each other during the 32 days I was on the ship. I speak Spanish fluently so I was not dependent upon the ship's tours. This trip ended up costing a lot! $1500 extra in port charges. $700 extra in the mandatory gratuities. I imagine the cruise line uses those funds to pay the staff. I asked my stewardess if they saw any of the funds and she told me "no". I tipped her well before I left. She was wonderful! I don't think I'll cruise NCL ever again.

I won't cruise NCL again.

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by calm12

• Sail Date: March 2016
  • Destination: South America
  • Cabin Type: Inside

I don't think I'll cruise NCL ever again.
calm12’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

Inside
Cabin ID 8133
Needs upgrade. Mattresses were old. Sofa was old. Carpet torn. Horrible smell coming from the plumbing. Sewage came up out of the shower at one point.
Norway Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins