3. Pacific Dawn
Went on this cruise to see Fiji and Vanuatu with our two children (3 and 8). We were lucky with embarkation as they let us through quickly as my youngest was sleeping. Very easy check in and straight onto the ship. We went straight down to the kids club after dropping our hand luggage off into the room. We were greeted their by the lovely Sara and filled in the forms that needed filling in. Went next to the waterfront restaurant to book a table for dinner. I think these are the fist few thing you need to sort out then you can go up top and relax. Our bags were a bit late getting into our rooms because we seemed to get on pretty quickly. Just remember to pack swimmers in your hand luggage and this shouldn't be a problem. We wanted to find out some info about P&O Edge so went to the kiosk up near the pool. The staff on the Edge team probably the rudest and most obnoxious people we had to deal with our whole cruise. They make sure they tell you the packages are only for seven days. OK but then you find out that you have to pay an adult ticket instead of a kids for the first package. So be warned if you are looking at the prices and only for one child it will be the adult price.They did say that it was you had to buy one adult and one child before but then they changed it to just first ticket as adult price. The deal is you get one activity during a port day and two activities during sea days. Ok so we paid $139 for the silver package as it had most of the stuff available without the segways. Which is just a 3m x 3m square track that they take you around and not much to do. We received the blue card to say when our activities were on etc. Booked the young fella in for the Flying fox for the first day and laser tag and funnel climb the second day. I will admit the staff dealing with children were good at doing the activities just not good at customer service. They even laughed when I said I was doing a review even though I was trying to get all the info from them so I could do a full review of the facts. This was after I had read in the daily activity newsletter that you could get you discounted 12 day P&O Edge pass the day after we bought the full price ticket. They informed me that the newsletter was wrong and that they were only offering the 7 days. So much for false advertising. My son did have a good time doing the activities, 2 flying fox goes, 1 laser tag (which is the ones they use at the show and they do this in the dome), a funnel climb, the bungy tramp which is pretty pointless as they are not aloud to do flips. That was about it, as he missed the low ropes as they stuffed us around with the times on that, then he was sea sick for one of his sea days and he was not able to do them and they do not give you another day for that. Also the next day after he missed out on the low ropes again because it rained. Then when I asked if they do extensions because of the weather they said yes but he only had missed out on one day because of the rain. Even though I heard she was extending other peoples activities. P&O Edge was a great disappointment and I would not recommend it to anyone. I had enough of them by the end of the 7 day package and just gave up because I did not want to ruin my holiday because of a couple of ENGLISH staff that would not respect the customer. Ok apart from P&O Edge the cruise was very good and they tried to do the best they could with the amount of people that they had. The ship is an older ship and needs a good refurb. But again for the price we were happy with it. The kids pool is great and a good height. My three year old could reach and she is very short. The big pools however need to be about 300mm less. They are 1.8m deep and very low down. Not very easy to get in and out off. The two spas are always filled with children but there are two spas at the back of the ship in the adult area. Bar service on the pool deck was a bit slow and always hard to find a waiter to order drinks. The kids club would have to the best part of the trip that the children enjoyed. Our son would spend most of his time there and with the ability to check himself in/out he was very happy. They have a children's meal from 4;30pm til 5:15pm which was alright but would have been nice to have a few vegies on the menu. The staff of the kids clubs were really great and very friendly. We had one child in Turtle Cove and the other in Shark shack. The rooms themselves are very big and I think a lot better than Carnival. Shark Shack even had a small basket ball court, air hockey table and lego wall. They even had a talent show they organised for the end of the cruise with the children performing in groups and as individuals. The staff work really hard with this and the children really enjoyed the lime light. Thanks to the kids club staff. Sara, Eva, Patricia and Joseph. During the day we made sure we got there early to secure one of the side sofas under the shade of the top deck. Very hard to find these later in the day. A night we would mostly spend time in the Orient bars as they have Matilda Bay beers on tap. A pint is about $9 and the cocktails were around $12. We didn't got the drinks package as for the 12 nights it would have worked out too expensive. It was good to be able to get a bottle of wine and bring it back the next night or take it to the restaurant. We ate most nights at the Waterfront but the worst thing about this is having to book every night for the following night as we never got the same waiters etc. Service in the Waterfront was not that great and the food was average. Again yes the price you pay is what you get. Some nights the food was good and some not so. You can usually get a seat after 7:30pm if you walk up, it might be shared but you will get one. The music on board was OK, we seemed to always catch Fontaine in the Orient and they did have Karaoke if you are into that. We really enjoyed the a few of the stage shows which the children did attend too. They have a show at 6:30 and 8pm. James Buster and a fire eater were the two shows the children liked. They also had a great singer named Davidina. The theater shows were average. All in all we enjoyed our cruise, the staff were freindly and if you had a problem they were willing to help, except for the Edge team. The only down side.

P&O Edge Review watch out for the staff.

Pacific Dawn Cruise Review by aussiechucka

aussiechucka’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 3 to 6
Ages 7 to 9
Get P&O Australia Pacific Dawn price drops

Our cabin was a quad with two bunk beds. This was a bit uncomfortable and it felt like you were falling out of the thing. Also the amount of times I bumped my head even though I am of average height. The cupboard space was good and plenty of room for storage. There are three small safes and one big one. The bathroom was average. Our room stewards Chris and Martin were great and very friendly. You have to ask them for pool towels.