3. Scenic Pearl
We chose this cruise because we wanted a relaxed holiday sailing along the rivers and canal and being able to partake of shore excursions without the need to continuously pack and unpack as if on a bus tour. We also chose the Paris extension prior to embarkation at Amsterdam and the Prague extension at the conclusion of the cruise in Budapest. All of the shore excursions were extremely well organised with excellent local guides. The staff on board the ship were very friendly and helpful and the meals were of a high standard. There was ample choice in the way of spirits, wine and beer. On most evenings there was local entertainment brought on board from the local port of call and these entertainers were of a high standard. The cabin was of adequate size for the type of ship and was well fitted out. Our cruise was spoilt by a passenger who embarked at Amsterdam with a bad case of the flu, knowing full well that she was contagious. She should not have been allowed to board the ship. A cold flu virus quickly spread through the whole ship. On the third evening of our voyage she had the cheek to go on an evening bus tour to Marksburg castle. The evening concluded about 11pm and as we were boarding our bus, she collapsed for a very short period and then revived and proceeded to cough and spread germs over everyone in the bus. My husband caught the virus on the 7th day of the cruise and spent 4 days confined to our cabin. We had to call the Doctor on board in Vienna to receive some treatment and drugs to assist in combatting the virus. I thought that I had escaped the virus, but I came down with it on our second last day in Prague and spent the rest of my time in bed before flying home. The flight home was extremely uncomfortable. The virus was so bad that I spent 8 days in bed at home before I fully recovered and my husband took about the same time to recover. On the day of departure in Prague, we had to be out of our hotel room by 12 Noon, but had to wait in the hotel foyer until 2pm for our pick up to the airport. Because there was a business convention being conducted in the hotel, the foyer was very noisy, crowded and there was very little seating available. We were not happy with this arrangement, especially as we were feeling unwell. The major criticism I have, would be that hand sanitation was not supervised by staff on entrance to the dining room and also the hand sanitiser was not positioned in a prominent place. On the second last day we met a passenger who saw us sanitising our hands and he stated that he did not know that such a device was available for use by passengers. On disembarkation day in Budapest, we came back from breakfast at about 8.30am to find that our cabin had already been made up and serviced for the next lot of passengers. We still had to use the bathroom and pack our hand luggage. I felt sorry for the next lot of passengers.

First River Cruise

Scenic Pearl Cruise Review by Holly10

The cabin was of adequate size for the type of ship and was well fitted out.

A cold flu virus quickly spread through the whole ship.

Holly10’s Full Rating Summary
Get Scenic Pearl price drops

Cabin was well laid out and was adequate size for the type of ship.
It was well serviced by the staff and the soap, shampoo etc was Locitane - very good quality.