3. Viking Gefjon
My 85 year old mother had always wanted to take a river cruise in Germany. So, we decided to treat her this past year and take her on the Christmas Markets' cruise. My husband and I have cruised before (not Viking), but I have to say that this was the most enjoyable and relaxing cruise we have ever taken. Viking thought of everything and made the experience amazing. All ports had excursions that were free but incredibly informative and fun. The food was incredible, the crew fantastic and the small size of the ship made it all very intimate and comfortable. No shoving or waiting in line at a buffet, or paying extra for fine dining. There was always room in the dining room as well as the common areas without feeling like we were crowded at all. Viking also excelled at having cultural experiences on the ship that were not only informative, but also very entertaining as well. No casino (thank you!) or extravaganzas - just a very relaxing and completely enjoyable trip. It was so nice to have Viking plan everything out, down to the smallest detail, and not have to worry about logistics or make decisions that after awhile, become tiresome and sometimes stressful. We started our cruise in Nuremberg, where Viking met us at the airport and efficiently took us to the ship. Each night, the cruise director gave an overview of what was happening the following day and described the excursions. Our tours were always with English-speaking natives (one tour was with an expat from the US). We were given headsets so that we were able to hear the guides, and we didn't have to crowd around them traveling in a pack. Each and every tour guide was delightful. We also always had free time in each port for shopping or more sightseeing. When we returned, the first thing I said to everyone who asked me about the cruise was, "I can't recommend Viking highly-enough. It was truly wonderful!"

Fantastic Christmas Markets Cruise with Viking

Viking Gefjon Cruise Review by AtlantaPyrs

AtlantaPyrs’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Gefjon price drops

We ended up with two cabins (there were four of us). When we booked, they had only one balcony cabin remaining, so we gave that one to my mother and sister, and my husband and I stayed in one of the standard, water-level view cabins. Although we would have like to have stayed in a balcony, we were usually on the deck watching the scenery go by or sleeping, so there was actually no disappointment with the cabin location. One of the fond memories we will always have is when my husband looked out the window one morning and a duck was looking back in at him! The balcony cabin my mother and sister had was very nice and, if we took a Viking cruise in warmer weather, that would be more preferable, I am sure.
  Viking Gefjon Deck Plans