Viking Odin Cruise Review

Viking Odin Cruise Review by jetsytravels

• Sail Date: Apr 2015
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

We chose this cruise because of the itinerary - Paris to Prague. However we did not read the itinerary carefully enough and "Paris" and "Prague" turned out to be only half day bus tours. That was very disappointing. Once there are paying for the trip, I was at least expecting a full day with some meals thrown in.

The other bid disappointment about the cruise was how little time we had to enjoy the boat itself. The boat was beautiful, but we were on buses off to see sights everyday. One of our party quipped that he wasn't sure if ours was a bus trip with a river cruise or a river cruise with a bus trip! That sums it up though - we were constantly being bussed (anything from 1/2 to several hours) away to see sights.

The other downer on our trip was that by the end, everyone on the boat was sick. on the first day, there were maybe 2 people coughing, but by the end more than 70% of the ship was sick. In our party of 8, one became seriously ill and all of the other 7 had to take at least one day off because of illness.

Though there were plenty of exhortations to people to wash their hands, etc. spending hours every day in a bus with sick people was probably the cause of the spread.

The best part of the cruise was the day we spent cruising down the Rhine, in the sunshine, watching for castles on both sides of the river. It was relaxing, and the commentary was lighthearted.

As a vegan, I was pretty hard pressed to find the food I wanted to eat. All in all, I thought the food was just average - though I enjoyed the lunches more than the dinners.

jetsytravels's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Stateroom

I cannot remember what level our cabin was but it was very nice and very comfortable, (We had a sliding glass door but no balcony). I thought the whole ship was very nicely decorated.

Paris

Hotel was way out of the way. Only tour offered was a bus tour I should have skipped as I have been to Paris many times and could have found something better to do with my time, especially since there were no meals included.

Heidelberg

I was sick that day and did not leave the ship. My husband went on the bus trip to visit the city.

Wurzburg

We did an extended trip on this day in order to see the Romantic Road as well as Wurzburg. Palace was great.

Nuremberg

Basically saw it from the bus, then made a 4+ hour bus ride to Prague from here.

Prague

Our offering was a walking tour of Prague combined with a visit to the castle. It was very good, but only 1/2 a day and not enough to justify the 4 hours on the bus. A full day of tours and restaurant meals would have satisfied me. However, by the time we got to Prague everyone was sick and just wanted to go home.

jetsytravels