Viking Hlin Cruise Review

An excellent photographic and historical adventure without having to travel far.

Viking Hlin Cruise Review by molly1196

• Sail Date: Oct 2015
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

This was my first Viking cruise. I chose it because of the historical significance of visiting first hand all of the sites along the Rhine river. The ship and accommodations were excellent. More importantly, the information given each evening prior to reaching our next destination was superlative. The staff was first rate and service was superlative. I must give additional credit to the supervisor of the tour guides. Her name is Petra Hall. She was always available and at everyone's disposal. Her tour guides were also superlative. They knew every detail of information at the site we went to. Petra also went on a lot of the tours to make sure that the service was top notch. It is this kind of detail that will bring me back to another Viking cruise.

I had two disappointments. The cuisine aboard was just so-so. Breakfast was excellent as one had many choices to choose from. lunch was usually ordinary, nothing special. Dinner was more disappointing. Food was usually overcooked or tasteless. Sauces were nothing special. I skipped dinner twice in the dining room. I hope you can fix this. I am a chef and fussy about food, however, serving food in a large atmosphere can be excellent everyday if food is fresh and sauces are not frozen or packaged.

The Radisson Blu hotel at the end of our trip in Amsterdam had its issues too. While the hotel was conveniently located in the city, the room was nicely appointed and had comfortable beds. There was too little lighting and a hazardous entry to the bathroom. One had to step up to go into the bathroom and I tripped and fell twice as did my roommate. Combined with poor lighting this could have been tragic. My suggestion, pick another hotel and check out the rooms more carefully.

The best part of the Radisson stay was the tour guide through the city. Her name was Hannakah. She watched out for us and was a wealth of Amsterdam information.

molly1196's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Stateroom

I can't remember cabin number, however the cabin was very comfortable and seemed brand new. The bathroom with radiant floors and a good size shower was very convenient, as well as space to store our toiletries. Very nice accommodations.

Canal Tour

The highlight of Amsterdam were the museums. The Rikjsmuseum and Van Gogh were breathtaking. I so admired the use of light in their paintings and the skill at projecting such artistry in the sixteenth century.

View All 311 Canal Tour Reviews
City Tour

An Amsterdam native was our tour guide. She was very informed and an excellent spokesperson.

View All 148 City Tour Reviews
Diamond Factory

The museum was more interested in selling us diamonds than history.

View All 17 Diamond Factory Reviews
Rembrandt House

Excellent and historically represented

View All 9 Rembrandt House Reviews
The Hermitage Tour

Incredible

View All 9 The Hermitage Tour Reviews
Van Gogh Museum

It was my favorite. The master paintings were so alive to see in person.

View All 65 Van Gogh Museum Reviews